• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

building a roll cage???

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
When you start narrowing down what bender(s) you're interested in, make sure you check out how the dies are hardened. Some are only surface hardened and don't last as long as others.

Another thought, buy the dies that allow greater bending amounts, I. e. the 240 degree die vs. the 120 degree die. It's not that much more of an initial investment, but you'll find uses for the extra capability (front stingers, 180 degree bend shock hoops, etc...).
Joe

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Whats this setup cost??

It has been a few years, but that set up cost me about $1700 with one 240 degree die and shipping. Got it from Keith at Xtreme Crawlers (he is still in business, but not under the same company name) Can't remember it right off. He is still a Pro Tools dealer.

73bronco

Another thought, buy the dies that allow greater bending amounts, I. e. the 240 degree die vs. the 120 degree die. It's not that much more of an initial investment, but you'll find uses for the extra capability (front stingers, 180 degree bend shock hoops, etc...).
Joe

I agree completely! You never find yourself wishing you could bend it less as the 240 will cover any and all. It would suck to limit yourself to 90's or 110's only to find you want more!

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
so i want to try to locate 1.75 DOM tube? How many sticks will I need? Anyone know of any good deals in Southern California?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
so i want to try to locate 1.75 DOM tube? How many sticks will I need?

I use 1.75" .120 wall HREW for most of my cages. If it's designed correctly and welded well, DOM is overkill IMO, and much more expensive. The cage I just built (see pics in my build thread) took most of 4 20' sticks of 1.75" and 2 sticks of 1.5"

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
so i want to try to locate 1.75 DOM tube? How many sticks will I need? Anyone know of any good deals in Southern California?

Generally, 3-4 sticks, depending on design, etc... I usually go smaller for some sections, I. e. the spreader bars from the A pillar back to the B pillar. On my current cage I'm also running 1.25" square tube between those spreaders to mount the seats on.

As far as deals, call around to as many places as you're willing to travel to, seriously. You'd be surprised how much the price varies! Some of the best deals will come from the regional distributor, especially if you plan to pick up whole sticks. Some have a min. order, so find friends who need some steel as well.
Joe

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I am doing a family cage with door bars, three main hoops, 4 spreader bars, and a "oh shit" bar in the front. Think 4 sticks is enough? May buy an extra in case I screw up a bend.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I picked up 4 sticks of DOM 1 3/4'' .095 wall $ 3.00 dollars a foot.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I use 1.75" .120 wall HREW for most of my cages. If it's designed correctly and welded well, DOM is overkill IMO, and much more expensive. The cage I just built (see pics in my build thread) took most of 4 20' sticks of 1.75" and 2 sticks of 1.5"

Not trying to get the HREW V/S DOM debate going :) DOM is the next stage after HREW is drawn over mandrel to give a consistent wall thickness.

I am with you, after being quoted $11 per foot for DOM by the only place within 50 miles that even knew what DOM was, I decided to build it out of HREW. Another thing that convinced me was the 10pt cage kit I ordered for my drag car from Competition Engineering came to me 1.75 OD, .120 wall... i knew it was plenty for what I wanted :) We have been using 2" OD .120 wall. We also use 1" for seat mounts and grab handles, if there was a place to get 1.2" OD close we would use it for a few of the cross braces etc.