• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build Thread - Project Cortez

strebel

I guess there is no time like the present to start this thread.

What I've dubbed as Project Cortez is a 1970 (302, manual) I picked up locally here in Tucson AZ. The plan is to essentially take it down to the bare frame and rebuild it back to new. Better, Faster, Stronger

The 10,000 foot plan/parts list:
  • Mustang Gen 3 Coyote
  • 6r80 Trans
  • Add PS
  • Add Power Disc Brakes (Wilwood)
  • Add A/C
  • Atlas II
  • Rear End - BCBroncos 35 spline HD kit - TrueTrac Locker
  • Front End - Dana 44 Currie Axle Package - Open Diff for now
  • 2.5in SL + 2in BL + 4 Link (Duff Flying Duck)
  • All new Tub (Desert Classic Mustangs) and fenders/hood/etc
  • Paint
  • Interior

BCBroncos has graciously accepted my first sizeable wire transfer and everything from the radiator to the transfer case is preparing to ship over the next few weeks.

Put the deposit down to get in line on a new tub + doors + windshield frame from a local outfit, Desert Classic Mustangs. They are saying April-May for Delivery.

Shopping now for front and rear ends + suspension.

New Bendpak lift is being installed in my home shop tomorrow.

The first order of business will be to start stripping it all down, bagging and sorting parts, and get the body ready to lift off the chassis. Probably start this weekend.

Once the body is off and while I wait for the new tub I'll start on the chassis work - frame clean up and powder coated, front and rear axles, suspension, brakes, fueling, etc.

Then stare aimlessly at the wall for several days/weeks and contemplate my life choices.

And maybe in a year or so it will be back on the street and running.

The old body, motor, trans, axles, and the rest of it will need to find new homes.. so I guess watch the For Sale threads.

Progress videos will be added to here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdULRTLLjEbq-zUJ26aLM1EWuMGipnPYj

More frequent updates here: https://www.instagram.com/projectcortez/

And of course will update this thread.

On a personal note: I'm in my early 40s, Married, Father, and I work in tech. First car was a 69 Mustang Coupe, Current and last car were Audi's. After the bronco - I plan do a similar type of build on a 69 Mustang fastback - restomod+widebody - a bit like the RTR-X.

Thanks for having me.

Attachments

• grab796.jpg
    grab796.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I guess there is no time like the present to start this thread.

BCBroncos has graciously accepted my first sizeable wire transfer and everything from the radiator to the transfer case is preparing to ship over the next few weeks.

Nice project you got there.. :cool:

Look forward to the progress. That was so kind of BC B :) LOL

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

Lift going in as I type this.

Attachments

• grab805.jpg
    grab805.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 196
  • grab804.jpg
    grab804.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
strebel

strebel

Questions:
Low Pinion or HP Dana 44 front axle? Any clearance issues with a HP to be aware of with the Coyote and Trans?

4.56 gears front/rear appropriate for 33in tires with the 6r80 trans?

Last edited:

steelefx4

Questions:
Low Pinion or HP Dana 44 front axle? Any clearance issues with a HP to be aware of with the Coyote and Trans?

I am running 4.11's with ARB lockers on mine with 33's...Gen 3 backed by a 10r80...I'll keep you posted as soon as I drive it, within a week hopefully!!!

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

Questions:

I went with LP and 4.56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
get yourself a white board the size of your Bronco. if buying parts plan well ahead as covid has reeked havoc on the supply chains, everything takes longer.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
get yourself a white board the size of your Bronco. if buying parts plan well ahead as covid has reeked havoc on the supply chains, everything takes longer.

white boards work so well Visualize your objective Cross that shit off your list when done and makes you happy and motivated

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

5fe80f78ff6695315ba9c7e14acdf83d.jpg

Fun Saturday project.

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

All stripped down. Buyer will pick everything up on Wed.

4e6b5b5456ab4bb92b5b76b48c31bd07.jpg

ba7f0e22452c8a2378f3b7ba86d5ae9e.jpg

GRN_MEANIE

Since I own a 2016 F150 with a coyote and 6spd. 4.56 is probably low. My truck is 3.73 and it does seem right, and they come with 32” tires.

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

Got a call from UPS Freight to schedule a delivery for this Wed. I forgot to ask who it is from.. Surprise it is then.

Could be any of: Motor, Trans, Front or Rear Axles, or full suspension package.....

Edit: Twas a new Gen 3 mustang crate motor.

Last edited: