• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broncos at the MECUM auction in Dallas TX

72BlueBronco

if you click on the link the black one has the worst looking home made half cab I have seen.

andyp

Contributor
The Brown 73 Ranger sold for $19.5K.

The commentators hosed it all up. Said how pitiful the 302 was with 132 HP and then said they later had Cleveland in them.

They also said the Ranger was loaded with PS, auto and I believe they used the term "factory air" and mentioned it was a rag top as if it also was factory.

I hope all the info they give on the muscle cars is more accurate than what they know about Broncos.

I was not a fan of the soft top or the rocker chrome, but if it was as clean as it looked from a distance, that was well bought.

In general the they are not Bronco guys. The difference between their description and reality in person are often way off. Just remember that John Kramen works for Mecum...

Broncitis

MEB Founder
In general the they are not Bronco guys. The difference between their description and reality in person are often way off. Just remember that John Kramen works for Mecum...

It was obvious they are not Bronco guys. At least they did acknowledge that the Bronco is getting extremely popular (but they also add in Scouts and Blazers which I have not seen NEAR the increase in collectability or use in recent media as has been the case with the EB).

Who is John Kramen?

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Who is John Kramen?

The guy speaking and giving information to the television viewer as the vehicles are up for auction.

They botched the Ford Jeep history too. What can you expect, these are mostly muscle car guys? They will know soon enough, quality Broncos are increasing at these auctions it seems.

lhpanther

Loc.
Weatherford
Got to see them first hand today. The show was awesome and the broncos were all in good shape. The black one was a little much for my liking, the ranger was very clean, tried to open the driver side door on the red one and there is an issue with the door handle. Sure hope the new owner bought it knowing about that. I almost pulled the trigger on a sweet '70 Chevelle...maybe next year :)

NSG

I also saw them first hand and thought the brown bronco was the nicest one there. I am partial to a stock look though.

Boss9

Did anyone get a chance to look at the red 68 in person, and if so anything to be concerned about? Also any idea what it sold for?
thanks

kiddingknot

Loc.
Orlando
I also saw them first hand and thought the brown bronco was the nicest one there. I am partial to a stock look though.

I just stumbled on this old September thread today, because someone posted a new message today. The "brown" one ("Hot Ginger Metallic" color) was bought by an E-bay dealer at the September auction and then he resold it to me on e-bay a little over a month later.

Even though someone here said they thought it looked odd with the rocker panel molding, I got the Marti report and it was originally ordered that way, with both rocker panel moldings and body side moldings, so in that sense it is "stock." The soft top and the roll cage are obviously not stock. The striping is close, but also an add-on from a PO and not strictly authentic.

I love the way this truck looks and how close to original is, and I'm getting oohs and aahs everywhere I go. I'm either going to keep it exactly like it is or restore it to even closer to original. Problem is, now I want a second Bronco so I will have one to customize. Anyone have a good half-cab for sale? :)

ericbee

kiddingknot: Are you not upset that you paid a premium to a dealer to essentially flip the truck to you rather than buying it from the auction directly? Just curious how much of a profit the flipper made.

kiddingknot

Loc.
Orlando
kiddingknot: Are you not upset that you paid a premium to a dealer to essentially flip the truck to you rather than buying it from the auction directly? Just curious how much of a profit the flipper made.

Of course I am :) And I've already even discussed it on another thread. i wasn't a member of this site when it was auctioned at Mecum and I didn't know anything about the Mecum acution at the time. I only saw it for the first time an ebay and I fell in love with it at first site.

He bought it for 19,500 at the auction and I paid him 24,000 on ebay. But, considering his buyer commisions to Mecum and then his commission to Ebay, and his transportation costs from Texas to Arizona before he sold it to me, I don't think he made that much profit. I love the truck, and feel like it was the right one for me, so my regrets on not buying it from Mecum to begin with are far outweighed by my pleasure in the truck and meeting and learning from all the great people on this site since I bought it. :)