• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco windshield wipers on bottom

smbmph

any suggestions on where i can purchase a bronco windshield that has the wipers on the bottom

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Right now I think you're stuck with a custom build. We have not had our Viewfinder model in stainless for awhile now, but with interest coming back a bit, there may be a future for it.
Usually this is where I add a friendly, "but don't hold your breath!" indicating it's not the kind of product that is quick and easy to produce.

For the here and now though, I don't know where you would look other than the classifieds for someone selling a Wild Horses Viewfinder.

Good luck.

Paul

rockinrich

Contributor
Right now I think you're stuck with a custom build. We have not had our Viewfinder model in stainless for awhile now, but with interest coming back a bit, there may be a future for it.
Usually this is where I add a friendly, "but don't hold your breath!" indicating it's not the kind of product that is quick and easy to produce.

For the here and now though, I don't know where you would look other than the classifieds for someone selling a Wild Horses Viewfinder.

Good luck.

Paul
Hey paul,if you had one would that mean you would be able to move the motor from on top of your windshield to maybe inside the engine bay as well?Do you know of people moving their motor to under the hood? Thanks paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not as easy as that, as you'll see when you open the hood. The cowl area is right there, which extends well into the engine compartment. More accurately, the hood hinges back well into the passenger compartment, over your feet and the lower part of the windshield is still above the hood line.

So no, unless someone comes up with a clever cable arrangement there is not likely going to be one under the hood. I suppose it could be recessed into the cowl, plus a bump for the hood, but the angle of the dangle pretty much means that anything you make will probably interfere with the operation of the hood itself.
I've actually day-dreamed of having the hood hinge farther forward, near the leading edge of the cowl, rather than the trailing edge.
No matter what angle you look at it from though, some major or minor body work is involved.

I forwarded your interest, and another mention of it in another forum to see if we can get the ball rolling again on making the Viewfinder, or it's mate.
I've always maintained it should be out of mild steel instead of stainless. Just to keep costs down, which should allow sales to go up!

Back in the seventies and eighties, stainless windshield frames were the rage. Because so many originals were already rusting out, it seemed a natural progression to some. Me personally, I feel that regular steel with either a galvanizing or e-coating would last forever too and be much less of a hassle to make and at least somewhat less expensive to sell.
After all, how many Broncos are really going to be left out to be buried in the snow, or baking in the hot desert sun, or rusting away on the side of a beach house.
Ok, well that last one might still be going on, but the other scenarios started declining as Bronco prices started climbing.

So regular steel gets my vote.
Add a couple of extra cleverly located drain holes, some protective treatment, and away you go.

Paul

Beer and Fish

Bronco Guru
buy one without the hinge and weld a hinge to the top and turn it upside down. You will have to cut out the dash mount threaded parts in squares, cut matching squares on top and swap them. I have seen this done before. Big pain in the azz though!

rockinrich

Contributor
Paul,thank you very much for that you always explain things perfectly! Any pics of the viewfinder anywhere?

rockinrich

Contributor
buy one without the hinge and weld a hinge to the top and turn it upside down. You will have to cut out the dash mount threaded parts in squares, cut matching squares on top and swap them. I have seen this done before. Big pain in the azz though!
sounds like it lol