• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Vin Decode / No Title / Buy?

jvwvu

Looking to buy an old Bronco - Motor runs body is hit or miss so new tub is possible. But trying to run VIN since owner doesnt have Title and have no clue on where to start as every where is asking for 17 letters.

U15
G -302
L
U69xxx

6 - Brt Med Blue
U151
V4
G - C4 Auto
18J

Should I buy? Lowball? or Just walk a way

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Welcome to classicbroncos!
Yeah, you're not going to have much luck with most online listings, because old vehicles had much shorter VIN's than they've been using for the last many years now.
So much so that even some DMV people will insist that you're crazy and that's not a legit number and to go away and not come back until you grow a few more numbers!
They're too young and they apparently don't teach people at many DMV's (not just here in CA) that not everything is a new vehicle.

If you can't verify that it's currently licensable in your state, or it's not stolen, then most will say walk away. I hate no title situations, but some of them work out fine.
What state are you in? That's probably the single biggest stumbling block, or advantage you can have. Some states are just easier and don't delve too deeply into the history of the rig.

Good luck. Sorry I don't have any direct info for you. But let us know where you are and someone from there might have the answer.
In the meantime, back to the top of the page for ya...

Paul

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
June 74 build. 4500 GVW. Cleveland DSO. 3.50 gears with power steering. That's some additional info - hope that helps.

Todd Z.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
U15 - wagon
G -302
L - Mighigan plant
U69xxx - built June 74'

092 - wheel base in inches
6 - Brt Med Blue
U151- 4500lb GVW
V4- Red Explorer front buckets and rear seat
G - C4 Auto
18J- 3.50 gears with power steering
04500- GVW
42- Cleveland sales district

Todd's a faster "typer" lol. Kind of a bizarro interior color with that exterior imo.

OP
OP
J

jvwvu

In WV, I think I can get title after I purchase it but I am basically offering much less than asking price.

Thanks all.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good idea. There are some real horror stories here of members that have bought Broncos, spent thousands to fix them up (before titling) only to find out they were reported stolen or for whatever reason not registerable.
If one of our members had not had the luck of having law enforcement people who were willing to go the extra mile, he might have been out all of his investment entirely.
Took a long time, but he finally got it back. Very stressful I can only imagine.

Good luck.

Paul

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Looking to buy an old Bronco - Motor runs body is hit or miss so new tub is possible. But trying to run VIN since owner doesnt have Title and have no clue on where to start as every where is asking for 17 letters.

Should I buy? Lowball? or Just walk a way

As stated above, find out EXACTLY what will be required of you to obtain a title, it can be a real mess and very expensive. I think it was Alaska where I bought a utility trailer with no title and I was going to have to insure it for 3x the value for 3 years before they would give me a new title. A TRAILER!!!

Also where are you getting the VIN from? If you're getting the VIN from a warranty tag inside the cab make sure the same VIN is on the frame. It will probably require some wire-brushing but theres a place under the hood where you can check....I'll see if i can find my picture to help you locate it -jeff

edit: the blue area by the starter is where you want to look

Attachments

• VINs.jpg
    VINs.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
J

jvwvu

The VIN I have is from the glove box, the bronco is sitting on 1 frame and has another frame that is already done, lifted with mono shocks. So thought is right off back is to pull shell and put on new frame, then rebuild motor possibly with EFI.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as mentioned, find out what the law is in your state.
You may be fine in your state, but not good for an out of state buyer down the road.
In some states that may be a parts donor only.
Hopefully your DMV has a knowledgeable and patient person who knows what the rules are for lost title vehicles.
Will the owner give you a bill of sale and maybe some old expired paperwork? Or just take your money and say goodbye.
If you don't mind, what is the asking price for a Bronco with no papers. Good luck

OP
OP
J

jvwvu

Hi, as mentioned, find out what the law is in your state.
You may be fine in your state, but not good for an out of state buyer down the road.
In some states that may be a parts donor only.
Hopefully your DMV has a knowledgeable and patient person who knows what the rules are for lost title vehicles.
Will the owner give you a bill of sale and maybe some old expired paperwork? Or just take your money and say goodbye.
If you don't mind, what is the asking price for a Bronco with no papers. Good luck

Still looking into all of this, but pretty sure I can get title per state laws, there is no other paperwork, and still negotiating bill of sale and price.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
The VIN I have is from the glove box, the bronco is sitting on 1 frame and has another frame that is already done, lifted with mono shocks. So thought is right off back is to pull shell and put on new frame, then rebuild motor possibly with EFI.

title needs to match whatever frame you use...a new glove box warranty plate can be made by Marti to match.

If you jump through all the hoops to get a title to match that warranty plate, it may all be for nothing. good luck

Tugross302

JV. I’d say you’re in a pretty good state to do this in. The last bronco I bought had a typo on the title so when the police came to inspect the vehicle they only looked at the glove box door. However, if you ever plan on selling it two things may happen. One is our state may be more strict by then and the other is you will severely limit your buyers if the frame doesn’t match the title. What part of WV are you in?

OP
OP
J

jvwvu

JV. I’d say you’re in a pretty good state to do this in. The last bronco I bought had a typo on the title so when the police came to inspect the vehicle they only looked at the glove box door. However, if you ever plan on selling it two things may happen. One is our state may be more strict by then and the other is you will severely limit your buyers if the frame doesn’t match the title. What part of WV are you in?

I am in NCWV,

Also someone asked about what price would be for a non titled bronco, her is one I was looking at as a donor car since the body is in better shape then one i am looking at, then maybe doing a salvage title one later with

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/204707790406281/?ref=messenger_banner