• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Tow Rig Thoughts... EcoBoost

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Who has one of the new F150 with the EcoBoost & pulls their Bronco with it?

Gas mileage Hwy ? City ? Does it work well for you? Good/Bad..??

I've talked with Thom & he loves his, Tons of room in back seat. Gets about the norm when hauling the Rig, around 9-10, close to 19 for him at other times..

Appreciate your input. Considering trading in F-250 while all the rebates are going on.

Graciass!

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
After looking it up and looking into it, an FX4 ecoboost with backup cam is about the slickest new truck out there imo. I didn't want to buy new so went with the older dodge diesel, that's an option too. But If I was to buy a new truck today, I'd go E boost F1fiddy

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Eboost

This topic has been hit several times on here and off topic. I will simply add this from the real world. Half ton 4x4 crew cab with a short bed-that's nice. If you are planning on using it as a truck, haul tow etc consider the economy of the '11 and newer superduty 6.7 diesels. F350 crew cab long bed single rear wheel- 19.2-19.8 empty mpg on the calculator, will tow a 32 foot goose with two broncos and haul 3k lbs of cross ties in the bed..........
Just saying :)
Good luck

Airborne69

Loc.
Moorpark, CA
The ecoboost motor is very slick to say the least. The only issue with it,however, is that all of its power comes from the turbos. This is fine if you don't tow often. If you do though, your MPG's are going to plummet and it may have a hard time with the hills. It will do it, but she will be a screamer.

Moral of the story, I would recommend staying with the 5.0 if you tow often.

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have to contradict the comment on the hills. I towed my Bronco to OCBR last year from Missouri up and down the long Arkansas hills. I set the cruise on 70 and only once did it drop to about 66 mph and never sounded like it was even working hard. I agree with everything else said. I got about 20.5 mpg on my last three tankfuls with a combination of driving. I got 28.5 on a 60 mile trip a few weeks back. I out on about 20-25,000 miles a year and only tow or haul stuff about 8-10 times a year so this works for me. Good luck with your decision, Dave.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
They are sweet but still new in some ways. A lot of things to go wrong with them. So when I got our new work truck this year I got the 5.0. We love it. great ride great power. I have towed trailers that weight around 7,500 lbs and it towed great. You wont win a race against a Diesel but it does the job. Also nothing sounds like a 5.0 the Ecoboost doesn't really sound like a truck motor!

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you are planning on using it as a truck, haul tow etc consider the economy of the '11 and newer superduty 6.7 diesels.

I have 2012 F250 6.7 diesel, absolutely love it. The power this thing has and they way it handles the load has eliminated what used to be a lot of pucker moments in my other truck.

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Didn't feel like searching....

My towing would be to Bronco events mainly and at max would be 3-4 times a year (Locally) With Hot springs being the furthest. All others would be within 3-4 hours from me.

AT MOST I would tow would be 5-6 times a year probably. On a limited budget till kids are out of college. Would like to get that better mileage for driving back/forth to work.

At some point once kids are out of college, I'd look at some of those events farther away to try & attend.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
>>>>>>>>I got 28.5 on a 60 mile trip a few weeks back. I out on about 20-25,000 miles a year and only tow or haul stuff about 8-10 times a year so this works for me.>>>>>>>>>>>

Think about what you just typed. 28 on a 60 mile trip-, was it all down hill with a tail wind?? That is not even enough miles to give an ACCURATE mpg.

Oh wait, I forgot, when I filled up my F350 coming back from the South Carolina cost, it was perfectly flat and we were running 35mph in a line of traffic. We got 30mpg for the first 20 miles. It has to be true because it showed it on the mpg display on the info screen. That is what you probably used to come up with that outstanding mpg number as I doubt anyone would stop twice to fill up for a 60 mile trip and check their mpg. The 19.2-19.5 I posted earlier was on the calculator NOT the on board display.

I wish Jon would lock all threads that have mpg posts in them-would keep the smell down coming out of my Dell.

brewchief

I've got a '13 crew cab 6.5' ecoboost, I was coming from a 7.3 superduty so I ordered it with the max tow so it's rated up to 11,300#.

My towing has been limited to one short trip and maybe 3000# so it was like nothing was behind me.

Mileage so far has been between 17-18, I think it would be better without the max tow since that automatically gets you 3.73 gears, if you figure in the higher price of diesel and the higher maintenance costs I think you would need to be in the low twenties mpg wise on the diesel to break even.

FWIW I was just over $35k after rebates and X plan for a loaded 4 door 4x4 ecoboost XLT, what's a new super duty diesel going for right now?

I'm fine with lower mpg towing for the few trips a year I make, if it's a constant need to tow I agree that the diesel starts looking pretty good.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
I have an 11 2wd crew cab with the 55 gear and it's been great. I tow something every week usually. done some long trips and lots of shorts.
towing is about 11-12 loaded, 17-18 unload with no trailer I've squeezed 21 out of it. all depends on how hard you spool the turbos.
I just broke 40K on mine and through it's life I've averaged about 16. the computer tells me I tow about 8K miles a year

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for the input. Weighing options. I think it would be great for my purposes.

Wife is actually online quoting me prices right now. Haha

joe

Bronco Guru
i towed the 4200 pound Crawler 400 miles one way in the wife's 2012 v6 Ecoboost in a windy rain storm and averaged about 9 mpg.

the next day we came home was a calm beautiful day and it averaged 11 mpg.

we drove it 600 miles with nothing behind us and is averaged 22 mpg round trip.

the great thing about towing was it didn't miss a beat, pulled the hills of Tennessee better than any gas v8 I've ever been in, period. it lacked nothing!

But I still luv my good ole 7.3 ;D It aint got shit on it!

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey now, I'm not an MPG guy, but I did notice that I paid $3.49 per gal for reg in GA on Wed 8/21, drove about 150 miles and paid $3.08 per gal. in SC. Based on that I need to move to SC and pay less for ever how many gallons I need!!!%)%)%)

ZOSO

For someone that doesn't tow or haul stuff on a daily basis you can go wrong with the ecoboost. The one I pictured is my dads and he ordered his with 4.10's just for towing in the colorado mountains. Worst MPG we have seen was towing his camper in a nasty head wind out in nebraska getting 8.8 mpg. Best we have seen was 12.5. On average it's 10.5-11mpg's towing. The thing has yet to run out of power pulling the steep grades and never once has it "screamed" to maintain. The thing has so much low end torque it's sweet spot is 3K rpm. Either way you wont be disappointed. Since you dont have the altitude to deal with even a 5.0 would do good. Out here forced induction is the only way to go.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From a Ford tech's stand point they been great we've seen very few issues and the only one I can think of off hand is a miss fire concern while drivng under a heavy load in very damp/humid weather. I've actually replaced engines in two but that was due to lack of maintenance/owners fault, not fun it's a fairly complex engine to work on.