• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco fire + insurance claim

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Bronco caught fire yesterday. Damage seems to be limited to hood, EFI wiring harness, O2 sensor, trans dipstick and various plastics and vent lines.

What is your experience with insurance companies in these situations?
Is fire an automatic total or do they typically try to repair?

I know this is a broad question and situationally dependent; just curious if anyone has had a small fire like this and what their insurance did.

Really trying to determine if I want to even open this can of worms with insurance and risk them cancelling me and getting stuck with more expensive company or just sucking it up and fixing it. Agreed value is $35k and deductable is $500

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Sorry for the loss chuzie...
I guess I will say it depends on the Insurance company. You don't say if you would do the work yourself or if you have a shop in mind. I am guessing that you will do the work...
So not seeing the damage, not that I need to, since it is a custom install , you would be better off biting the bullet and make repairs yourself. No Insurance Co. involved.

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
What state are you in? Every state has their own guidelines for total losses.

35,000 is a decent bar to hit. Depending on the state and your insurance company I would expect it could still be repairable.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I'm in WA.
Back when I was in FL, they totaled it because it rolled and ended up on roof. I was shocked since the damage wasn't, in my opinion, that bad, but they said anytime something is on the roof, it's totaled out by default.

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
I'm in WA.
Back when I was in FL, they totaled it because it rolled and ended up on roof. I was shocked since the damage wasn't, in my opinion, that bad, but they said anytime something is on the roof, it's totaled out by default.
I'm out right now but if someone else hasn't chimed in by the time I'm home I'll check the state guidelines for WA. I'm an insurance appraiser in MA.. I can just pull it up in my database. Some company's have rules beyond what the state mandates but it will atleast be a good starting point.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm always amazed at the amount of collateral damage a fire has. The dollars add up a lot faster then you think.

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
I lied. I thought I was leaving but apparently I had more time than I thought. Looks like it's pretty straight forward. 100% of the value. I don't see too many exceptions to that but your insurance company could always have their own guidelines.

Please note this is not legal advice. Please don't quote me on anything.

Fires can be pretty nasty and I'm not sure what the labor rates are like out there.. but I wouldn't expect it to just be an automatic total loss unless your company is doing something above and beyond the state guidelines I'm seeing.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I lied. I thought I was leaving but apparently I had more time than I thought. Looks like it's pretty straight forward. 100% of the value. I don't see too many exceptions to that but your insurance company could always have their own guidelines.

Please note this is not legal advice. Please don't quote me on anything.

Fires can be pretty nasty and I'm not sure what the labor rates are like out there.. but I wouldn't expect it to just be an automatic total loss unless your company is doing something above and beyond the state guidelines I'm seeing.

But Nick said.... ;)
Thanks for the info bro. You rock!

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Wonderful! A fire, and a mess too!

Yep, three fire extinguishers worth of dry retardant combined with all that trans fluid will be gobs of fun (<--- PUN INTENDED!)
The mess alone is enough to drop it off at the scrap yard! ;)

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I got the Firebronco this way. PO had it in Hawaii with California plates. Attending college here. It caught on fire on the freeway.
My understanding was that his insurance company totaled it and he was just selling it for parts. I went into it as a parts rig in my mind also. Got it. Towed it home. Worked on it in the afternoons after my day job. Got it driving in 5 days. Inquired to get it registered and went through the process. Got it titled and registered to me on the 6th day.

Last edited:

NickMcAFP

Contributor
Loc.
Sturbridge
But Nick said.... ;)
Thanks for the info bro. You rock!
I'm not sure if you have a preference either way.. I've met a number of people who would rather the vehicle just go away.. but if you don't want it totaled make sure you are as involved as possible in the claim process. I would insist on a physical inspection of the damages. So many insurance companies have switched to virtual claims now but it will give you the opportunity to size up the person who is actually making the decisions. Making that connection goes a long way.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure if you have a preference either way.. I've met a number of people who would rather the vehicle just go away.. but if you don't want it totaled make sure you are as involved as possible in the claim process. I would insist on a physical inspection of the damages. So many insurance companies have switched to virtual claims now but it will give you the opportunity to size up the person who is actually making the decisions. Making that connection goes a long way.
I'll keep it and fix it no matter what. It's already on a salvage title and the same insurance company paid out the agreed value for the roll over. Methinks, if they have to do it again, I'm getting the boot.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Bronco caught fire yesterday. Damage seems to be limited to hood, EFI wiring harness, O2 sensor, trans dipstick and various plastics and vent lines.

What is your experience with insurance companies in these situations?
Is fire an automatic total or do they typically try to repair?

I know this is a broad question and situationally dependent; just curious if anyone has had a small fire like this and what their insurance did.

Really trying to determine if I want to even open this can of worms with insurance and risk them cancelling me and getting stuck with more expensive company or just sucking it up and fixing it. Agreed value is $35k and deductable is $500

dammmit man :(

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'll keep it and fix it no matter what. It's already on a salvage title and the same insurance company paid out the agreed value for the roll over. Methinks, if they have to do it again, I'm getting the boot.

good luck bud... make it work for you

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
No biggie bro. Already tore it apart. New parts in hand. She'll be up and running in no time.