• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco bottle jack repair

jwats73bronco

Bought a used early Bronco bottle jack off Ebay. Appears to be the real item, but no hydraulic oil (apparently). Piston is stuck in down position and will not lift with clockwise rotation of crank. Looked at Youtube on how to add oil and bleed bottle jack. Problem is no fill hole I can see on this jack.
Solution? Drill and tap a hole and add oil and seal with threaded plug?
If so, wider portion of lower body near the top or narrower part near the piston so I get the oil level correct.
Or is there a trick I don't know to add oil to original Bronco bottle jack?
Thanks for any help.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Are you sure it's a hydraulic jack?

Early bronco jacks are mechanical screw type jacks, no hydraulic fluid needed. If the mechanism is stuck, try spraying your favorite penetrating fluid into it to free it up. Then figure out how to squirt some grease into it to coat the threads.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Ummmm....... It's a screw type jack. Spin the socket clock wise about a million times with the handle or a big bit in a cordless drill and it will start raising.

No hydraulic if it's the original one .

OP
OP
J

jwats73bronco

Thanks for those replies. I guess I am not sure it is a hydraulic jack? Probably explains why there is no filler port?
Thanks for that info.
I will give those suggestions a try.

OP
OP
J

jwats73bronco

Hey guys. Working on Bronco during self imposed quarantine. Thank goodness WH and TBP are still delivering.
Follow up question on my bottle jack. I have lubed it up with PB blaster and can get it going up and down with a drill. An inner sleeve with lifting pad goes up and down freely. It is currently 11” from base of jack. There appears to be a second larger sleeve between inner sleeve and jack body. It starts up about 1” and then falls back into place. At this point lifting screw locks out.
I am guessing second sleeve needs to go up as well. I don’t think 11” of lift is the max?
Any thoughts?
I want to put the original jack with cover and other accessories under the hood to complete restoration. But am carrying a light 2.5 ton floor jack with 15” lift as my failsafe.
Thx for any help.