• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

broken dash light switch harness

mraine

Contributor
I seem to take my dash in and out once a week while I am building and I broke both of the dog ear clips on the light switch harness. (see pic). The harness and the switch fit together pretty tight so maybe it wont fall out but I thought it was worth building a removeable clip to hold it together just in case. The first pic is the broken dog ear, the second is the clip I built to make sure it doesn't fall out. Its the yellow thingy.

Attachments

• PXL_20240114_232139356.jpg
    PXL_20240114_232139356.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20240114_232213647.jpg
    PXL_20240114_232213647.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 25

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice and heavy duty. What is that made of? Some plastic from a 3-D printer perhaps?
In a pinch, most people use a zip tie. Works OK in most cases, but definitely not as elegant as yours.

OP
OP
M

mraine

Contributor
Well, crud. A zip tie would be faster, cheaper, would work at least as well and probably work better. And, I didn't think of it. I thought of the most complex method and there you go.
Ya. 3d printer. I had to run through four or five test prints while I worked through the dimension to get it just right. My printer tells me that each print cost .43 in material plus my time vs. twelve cents for a zip tie.
Oh well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are instances where your method would work better. Something where the harness connector is directly on the end of the switch, such as a common ignition switch.
Nothing for a zip tie to go around and grip.
Something with ears that clips on would be beneficial.
So look at it like you were just doing R&D work for future projects! :) 😉