• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Filler or Replace Rocker

coltbean

I am doing a frame off and the body is in great shape other than floor pans but was wondering if I should just fill it in or go ahead and replace?

Attachments

• Rocker.jpg
    Rocker.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 267

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's a dent? If it's metal work, someone should be able to hammer it out to very close then use filler to make it perfect.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Buy, borrow or rent a stud gun and pull the dents and fix it. If no stud gun, use self tapping screws and a slide hammer. When done, weld the screw holes shut.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Agreed that one is easily fixable. But don't fill it with putty. ^^^ use this method it's very easy and most rental shops have the stud guns for rent. Go for it!!

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Coltbean,

I have the same problem with a couple of Broncos and have been worried I needed to replace the rockers, but your post and these replies make me feel better about leaving them (no rust in them) and just pulling as best I can.

Here are my two (they are similar to yours).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 9.37.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 9.37.16 PM.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 9.37.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 9.37.35 PM.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 9.38.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 9.38.10 PM.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
What about rust? Would it be a good idea to make patches? My drivers rocker has rust on a flat spot of it. The passenger has even more but on the bend.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Wow. What nice rust free rockers you have there !

Mine were bondo slathered on top of rolled up newspapers

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
If you just have a few small rust spots patching is fine. Removing and resinstalling rockers is a big job and you have to make sure you keep everything square so your doors and such will line up again when done. No shame in pulling dents or welding up small rusted areas. When pulling the dents make sure you get right in middle and pull straight out to as close as original as possible so that you maintain the proper alignment.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Buy, borrow or rent a stud gun and pull the dents and fix it. If no stud gun, use self tapping screws and a slide hammer. When done, weld the screw holes shut.

This. Use the stud gun. To me, the screws and slide hammer are for larger dents that the stud gun doesn't have the weight to pull out. That one in the rocker should be fairly easy with the studs. Remember first in last out, meaning pull the dent in the opposite order that it happened. If you try to pull the deepest part first, it will stick way out once you pull the shallow parts.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I have never used one but the kits where you zap the studs to the dent and then use some kind of bar where all the studs hook onto threaded
Bolts seems in the videos to be just the trick for a straight dent like this

Someone with more experience will hopefully chime in and explain what I'm taking about

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
For really tough dents, you can weld a tab, and pull from a solid object. just don't stretch the metal......
Less painful too.

Attachments

• IMG_2650.jpg
    IMG_2650.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9613.jpg
    IMG_9613.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9612.jpg
    IMG_9612.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 64

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I have never used one but the kits where you zap the studs to the dent and then use some kind of bar where all the studs hook onto threaded
Bolts seems in the videos to be just the trick for a straight dent like this

Someone with more experience will hopefully chime in and explain what I'm taking about

Yup! :)That's the stud gun folks are talking about.
image_24803.jpg

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
What about rust? Would it be a good idea to make patches? My drivers rocker has rust on a flat spot of it. The passenger has even more but on the bend.

Take a look at my build in my sig, in the early pages you will see where I cut and repaired a rocker on mine. I opted to do this in place of replacing the sheet metal for several reasons, it was only rusted in a small corner and the rest of the rocker was in great shape, not worth the hassle of fighting a reproduction rocker and fitment.

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
If you can, take a peak inside from one of the ends. The ends of mine were compromised and each rocker had about five pounds of rocks and dirt. If you can get that stuff out (shop-vac with small hose) spray it with some type of rust inhibitor. Otherwise it looks pretty good and definitely worth keeping.

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
If you can, take a peak inside from one of the ends. The ends of mine were compromised and each rocker had about five pounds of rocks and dirt. If you can get that stuff out (shop-vac with small hose) spray it with some type of rust inhibitor. Otherwise it looks pretty good and definitely worth keeping.

Its wierd how they fill up with dirt. I have about an inch worth in mine. My frame looks like someone just started shoveling mud in it. No rust in the frame though.

Galt72

Contributor
Replace all your rotted pans and wait on the rocker until paint. It's an easy fix for a body man and he'll have to work over that area anyway before paint. It will all get worked into the paint, body prep price.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
d157a8b41e36a8b1cd4f3d1cee286319.jpg

This setup is cool you can pull all the dent at once

Seems a lot better than pulling one stud at a time
Never used it myself though