• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big Jim's 72' the hunt, the headache, the score.

Bigbadjim

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
I bought my bronco last june in 2012. I've been looking for one since I was 16 but I could never find one in Canada for the right price. The bronco I finally bought is a U15 1972 with a 302 and a 3 speed floor shift. I bought it as a non runner in need of sheetmetal and a whole lot more.

My friend Terry took this EB on partial trade for a car he was selling almost 8 years ago. He's not a bronco or 4x4 lover at all and just took it on trade cause the guy didn't have all the funds to buy his car. When I found out he got this bronco I was so jealous and mad that one could just pop up at a guys shop that wasn't even looking for one. "Its not for sale!" he said when I asked him to sell it to me. I've tried numerous times to buy it over the last 8 years since it was just sitting in his shop untouched since a week after he traded for it. The first week he got it he cut the rusty quarters off it and arc welded some patch panels over holes in the floor and made a ugly metal mess. Absolutely no progress since that week. Now, fast forward 8 years.

I'm over at my friends dave's shop and he tells me to look out back. Holy crap! the bronco was in his storage compound. Terry just acquired a new mustang gt and asked him if he could store that old bronco for him. At that point, I new it was mine. Yes! Out of sight out of mind. I drove over to the other guys house immediately and knocked on his door. He answers the door and says "I think I know why your here and its not for sale!" well, after a couple coffee, a couple cigarettes I kindly asked him "whats the price, because everthing is for sale at a price" he named a price and I was baffled, he wanted half the price I would have offered him if he would have asked me first. We made the deal, I got the bill of sale and keys and left a happy guy. Later that day I picked it up with my trailer.

Since then, I got in touch with Toms bonco parts for a whole lot of sheetmetal and parts, I spent last july replacing all the metal pretty much from the firewall back. I installed procomp rims, tires and shocks, sprayed the interior with duplicolor bed liner, welded up a roll bar and had it powder coated, bikini top, custom diamond plate floor mats, leather seats from a donor car, new seat belts, new steering wheel, fixed the column, new dash pad, shifters, boots, knobs, added electronic ignition, a whole lot of engine re-wiring, tlc, and got the motor running.

Today was my first drive in the Bronco, took the kids for a cold rip in the snow. It sure plows through the white stuff! Didn't even have to use the winch.

This years plan is to get the motor running better, install a cowl induction fiberglass hood and paint the body all grey. I have a nice set of doors, a tailgate and hard top, however the doors and top will probably never see the Bronco. I love the top less look and the bronco will always be garaged.

More photos, before and after if you click on my "garage" button in the left hand column.

Attachments

• 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Great story for sure. Glad that you buddy finally gave in and sold the Bronco to you. Looks like you are doin a great job with it so far. Keep the pics coming.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Welcome, and great job thus far on the 72. Always great to see another EB finding a good home. Looking forward to seeing your progress.:cool:

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
ausome job so far! love the pic of you freezing your ass off in the snow! LOVE IT! True bronco lover for sure rides around in the snow with no doors and no top.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
You've done a great job on the 72!!! That was a cool story, Thank You for sharing.

John

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another great tale. You will be repeating that story every time someone stops to look at your Bronco. Personally, the "half price" part makes me jealous!

OP
OP
B

Bigbadjim

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
I found a few more pictures of some of the sheetmetal install. The rear floor was the only peice that I salvaged. I installed new rockers, front floor pans, inner & outer rear quarters, wheel wells, tail light panels, the 4 corner filler floor pieces, fuel filler neck covers, etc. All of the rot and rust I could find was removed and replaced along with cleaning up all surfaces I could get to. This is what I started with.....

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 25

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I found a few more pictures of some of the sheetmetal install. The rear floor was the only peice that I salvaged. I installed new rockers, front floor pans, inner & outer rear quarters, wheel wells, tail light panels, the 4 corner filler floor pieces, fuel filler neck covers, etc. All of the rot and rust I could find was removed and replaced along with cleaning up all surfaces I could get to. This is what I started with.....

Wow! And to think how many bodies that were that bad I've just thrown away..:eek:

Got to hand it to ya!...that is a remarkable save there.

Last edited:

blamejane

Bronco Guru
That's a great story. I love that you got it for half the price...and that you didn't give up!!!

OP
OP
B

Bigbadjim

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm looking at purchasing a suspension lift and body lift this spring. The tires I have on my bronco measure 32.5" tall. The distance right now is 38" from ground to lip of fender flare.

I was told this bronco already has a 2.5" james duff suspension lift, the rear springs look fairly newer and have stickers on the bottom with a 8-64-000 part number. I've had no luck searching this number? How many leafs in the leaf pack should I have with a 2.5" lift? Is this a add-a-leaf kit? I have 6 leafs in these current springs. The front coils are black and the front bushings in the radius arms are blue and look fairly new. Any help on identifying and aftermarket james duff parts? The lift is 10 years old or so.

I dont want to buy a 3.5" lift if thats what I already have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigbadjim

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
Here is a few photos of what I have.

Attachments

• jims-bronc 003.jpg
    jims-bronc 003.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 10
  • jims-bronc 004.JPG
    jims-bronc 004.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 9
  • jims-bronc 013.JPG
    jims-bronc 013.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 9
  • jims-bronc 014.JPG
    jims-bronc 014.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 10
  • jims-bronc 019.JPG
    jims-bronc 019.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 18

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
looking at the first few pics ... its amazing how you brought it back from the dead