• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best power steering box options

krause

Ok so im sure some people have talked about this but I figured if start a new thread.

I have the stock power steering unit out of my 76 that was working fine just had a very slow drip but im doing a full restore so im obv going to get that taken care of. What are the best options?

-Just have mine rebuilt and maybe have the ratio switched if need be but arnt the 76s factory 4 turn?

-just buy a new 4x4x2 or rock crawling box

-get the f100 2wd box or the f250 box and use the adaptor plate

If I get mine rebuilt after doing some research I found www.redheadsteeringgears.com and talked to them a d sound like they know what their doing and can switch the ratios and clean and paint up your box to and can have it done in a very short time I think was around $350 if the box wasnt junk or a $100 more if it needs a new shaft. This is a pic of the box after their done

I will be running HYDROBOOST if it matters and running DOM gm 1 ton steering linkage and 33 tires. Just trying to see what you guys have had best luck with.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
West Texas Offroad is another rebuilder option. Not sure of their prices but I'm sure someone else will post that.

I replaced my old stock 74 box with a Brogenson delphi box and love it. Works very well with the stock pump and 32's (I hope to be running 33's one day). The delphi will cost you more than a rebuild.

I reinforced the frame welding plate on both sides and removed the old frame inserts and replaced them with 1/4 wall DOM tube. My frame and box are rock solid now.

Tim

navalbronco66

I second the Delphi box. It can be had for 539 plus shipping. It's a brand new box with a 5 year 50k mile warranty. It's cheaper than buying some of the rebuilt ford boxes. I'm doing a frame off restomod on my 67 which includes a new after market frame I bought through bronco grave yard. I don't think I'll be reinforcing the frame when I bolt on the box. Frame is strong and sturdy unlike the original. Also just stir up emotions ill be installing an LS motor, 6.0 with 4L60e transmission ;)

Here's the link to the steering box
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-12826-delphi-power-steering-box.html

Photos of the LS been fitted onto the frame
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/p...arm=cbp=fdkng981ffir&sview=2&spath=/app/basic

Last edited:

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
My only recommendation would be to stay with a box that mounts on the outside of the frame like the original bronco box and does not need an adapter. inside the frame boxes really complicate and crowd the engine compartment for future mods.

I run a 4X4X2 box I bought the parts on ebay 8 years ago. Eve outside the frame it kept me from using the 95 E250 serp set up that came with my roller 351 without modification.

I still think the 4X4X2 set up is the way to go if you can find the pieces locally at a yard it can be a really cheap box. It is bullet proof and has a nice ratio.

Personally I wouldn't pay to have the bronco box rebuilt. I would run it if I had it, and I might even put a kit in it myself because there isn't much to it. But I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it unless I cared about restoration and since you are asking this question I assume you don't. THe ratio change alone from stock to 4X4X2 is well worth the extra money if you are going to have to put out money to rebuild yours. Sell you stock box to someone that cares about restoration and get a 4X4X2 box.

Seattle66

Contributor
I agree with the comment about going with the box that mounts on the outside of the frame. I did the 4x4x2 upgrade and couldn't be happier. I can steer my Bronco with one finger with 33x12.5 tires. Not too mention if you ever plan on upgrading in terms of tire size, etc.. the 4x4x2 box will handle pretty much whatever you throw at it. Yes, it's pricey and requires reinforcing the frame, but I think it's worth it.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Another 4x4x2 vote. Also a good time to upgrade to a saginaw pump. Get the dual return for when you go hydroboost.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Well my vote is the stock box. Its great for everyday driving unless you have big tires and do lots of climbing. Matt over a WTO will rebuild it for $140 plus $16 shipped there and $40 shipped back to ur door step. I'd be interested in your stock box if you decide to sell it.

X2 what SteveL said on the Sagi pump.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The '76-'77 power steering gear is perfectly fine. For a Bronco it works great. If you have to turn yours into something else ie. rock crawler or wanna be monster truck, sell it. There are plenty of people would love to have it.

OP
OP
K

krause

Im running a saginaw style pump with 2 returns from a 97 dodge cummins on my 4bt so Im sure it will be able to power any box I throw at it

So aftet reading all this its down to 2 choice

Rebuild stock box

Or get 4x4x2 box.

Whats the best reasonably priced 4x4x2 box setup if some1 wants to leave a link

And whats my stock running 76 power box worth if I get rid of it? (Coming from somebody who doesnt want to buy it lol)

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
A used gear box can go as low as $100 and as high as $350, it all depends on condition and wether it needs rebuilding. There are those out there who know how to rebuild these things, I'm not one of them. I can assure you that you won't see it on eBay.

If converting to a 4x4x2 (or 4x) you can usually pick them up on eBay for around $300, depends on seller. You need to make sure you get the converted 4x box. Now somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there are other costs to factor in when converting. I believe you need an adaptor bc the 4x box doesn't match up to all the factory holes. I think BC sells an adaptor for like $60??? I think you need a stock pitman arm bc it hangs a lil lower. I think you need to to extend your tie rod due to BC adaptor. I believe you need a lower column shaft bc the stock 76 one will not slide in. Again, I'm no expert and someone step in with a more accurate understanding of this conversion. A stock four turn gearbox is a very good box, and its plug and chug!

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
You already have the 76 quick ratio box. Just get it rebuilt for about $150 by Redneck Ram or PSC Steering--should be fine for the bronco driving you describe. Why waste money on a new gear?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Have your box resealed. Those are very desirable boxes. 4 turn factory bronco PS boxes. Your steering box won't care about running hydroboost, but your pump will. The steering is second priority after the brakes, when the PS pump is under demand.

Mark

Broncitis

MEB Founder
My personal experiance with Redhead, and some others...

We sent them a maual box for an original restoration (my mom's Harbor Blue U14).

1. Very clear instructions, DO NOT PAINT THE CAP RED since it is for an ORIGINAL restoration. They say OK, no problem, but of course, our box comes baxk red! %)

2. Months and probably more like a couple years go by until we are ready to install it, when we do, it has a tight spot so damn tight you can BARELY Armstrong steer though it to move the Bronco around in the shop. Obviously, NOT a good rebuild. We grabbed a used one I picked up in the mean time, cleaned and painted it, and it is fine. So much for the $300+ "rebuild".

As for Power Steering, I have had more than a few rebuilt by PSC and never had an issue with their rebuilds, PS pumps, rams, etc.

Years ago I had about 6-8 original EB boxes I was considering having rebuilt to sell. I spoke with WTOR and asked them their process, how I could tell if my cores were rebuidable (wear and scoring limits on the bores), etc. They seemed much less in tuned to any actual specs or objective measurements and just seemed to do it more by feel with their fingernail.

Being a manufacturing engineer, I do like to know specs, but I also know that I used to be pretty good at telling someone the RMS surface finish of a machined or ground part by running my fingernail over it as well, so there is something to be said for that method as well, but it is one someone can not really define unless you have a standard to match it to.

Anyway, I liked PSC's answers to my questions better and as I recall, they also said they could sleeve out of limit bores to make the box rebuildable, whereas WTOR did not offer that. My conern was spending a bunch of coin on shipping, only to have to pay to return them as I sent them, or leave them with them if they has bores that were roached.

OP
OP
K

krause

Ok thanks deffinatly changes my opinion. But in the end im still not sure. Should I just sell my oem box as is and go with the 4x4x2 and if I do that where is best to buy it.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've got a buddy with a 4x4x2 box he is willing to sell, PM if interested. Was used in his 72 EB -

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I like the one at West Coast Broncos as it's more economical.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...But in the end im still not sure. Should I just sell my oem box as is and go with the 4x4x2 and if I do that where is best to buy it.

What are you going to be doing with the Bronco krause? You said 33" tires, but what about driving style, wheel offset, planned off-road use, and that kind of stuff?

If you're not easy on your stuff, or if you plan to go off road a lot, or if you might go with larger tires in the very near future, or just like to shove rocks sideways with your tires for the fun of it, go with the larger, arguably stronger 4x4x2 box. Just remember it's not a simple "bolt-on" part.

If you're more moderate in your use, know when not to push rocks, don't think you'll be sporting 36" tires next year, and just want the quickest, simplest bolt-on box that will work decent, stick with your stock one.

You might as well double check that yours is indeed a 4.5 turn box of course. Just in case you were a very early '76 and got an earlier box, now would be the time to find out.
Easy enough to do though, as all you do is turn it to the limit both ways, and if it's closer to 6 turns it's an older box. If it's closer to 4 or 4.5, it's a later box.
Even if it's earlier though, it's not a stretch to just have the bits changed to about 3.5 turns for a little more than a typical rebuild costs, and you still have a nice, quick ratio, easy-to-install gear box.

Paul

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i have two 4x4x2 boxes I rebuilt myself. The 4x4x2 is the best choice for a heavy duty street and trail truck. I got one box at u-pull for $25 and another on CL for $40. The guts to do the reverse wormgear are dime a dozen at u-pull for $25. Rebuild gasket and seal kit is couple bucks. Drill and tap for future ram and your set.

Don't expect to get the old school box for less than $100....I just happened to find two amazing deals!

Id rebuild the box yourself....that way when it leaks you can only blame yourself. I have heard many many stories about every box builder out there rebuilding boxes that leak or are too tight etc. My dad's box for his heep was rebuilt by a big name in ram steering and it leaked and he had to send it back, second one leaked also!

OP
OP
K

krause

What are you going to be doing with the Bronco krause? You said 33" tires, but what about driving style, wheel offset, planned off-road use, and that kind of stuff?

Paul

Hate to say it but its probably going to see 80% street use. Light trails around here and by the time im done with it ill probably feel to guilty about taking it on the beach to rust LOL. So its going to be ready and have the look of trail with 33 mud terrains 1 ton steering a 4BT with more than enough steering pump power for good box and hydroboost nv4500 etc etc but most likely be a street queen. Im not afraid of having to customize a lil afterall im doing a 4BT swap but I like user install friendly as much as I can. Wheres best spot to get a predone 4x4x2 box. And whats the biggest change? Changing 1 or 2 hole locations? Or mounting huge plate. Since I still have BC broncos 4bt swap i have their steering box reinforcement plate that has stock and i think f150 3 hole pattern

Last edited: