• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bad Inline 6 200 CID Engine

DaveLev

Okay here goes: I have a bad inline 6 200 CID. Bottom end is shot.
Someone gave me another engine that may be a runner - don't know for sure.
I will inspect the hole count at the transmission, but other than this, they look like a good match/mate.

The casting numbers on the original engine:
C5DE
6015-H

The casting numbers on the alleged runner:
C8DE
6015-B

I used to know what all this stuff means, but I think it means Falcon-based engine, and one is an earlier casting than another. Not sure which. I think the -H vs -B means the revision number, but can't remember.
I think the C = engine, the 5 or 8 = the year (1965 vs 1968?). Man I really don't remember all this stuff, and getting tired.

Spare me the upgrade to the V8 stuff - just trying to get her back on the road for a friend.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
C5 is '65 or newer
C8 is '68 or newer
Those were the design change dates, not the production dates. Simply put, if the part didn't change the following year the number stays the same.

Visiual comparison, maybe a leak down test. If nothing bad found, swap.
Just do a walk around on the block. Bolt on stuff like water pumps, fuel pumps, exhaust manifolds that can be swapped are nothing to worry about. Not that many I6 experts here.

bmbm

block numbers

I looked in my Falcon Performance Handbook and found that "D" was first in Falcons but does not mention what vehicle "C" was used for. Also the H and B letters, not sure of that but makes sense as a minor revision code.
You could ask over on fordsix.com or maybe one of the few I6 experts on here can easily clear this up.