• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB- Twin Compressor seal failure

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Thinking maybe this is a sign to stick with the York which has been 100% dependable for 20yrs... :)

Anyway, the flat O ring seals that seal the head(s) are leaking air.

Also, the high /low pressure switch isn't shutting the ARB when my $3 guage reads about 160PSI. No wires to have connected improperly since I'm nut running any swtiches. Purple wire just sends 12v to the high/low switch, one grd wire and that's it.

Where's a source that isn't ARB for seal kits for both motors?? Thanks. I'll call NWParts tomorrow. I've searched on line.

Attachments

• 20230208_180303.jpg
    20230208_180303.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Now you have me worried about the one I just bought lol. I'm going to try it out before I go through the hassle of completely installing it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you talking about the end cap with the ¼NPT outlet that is clockable?

You might find something at McMaster? Between myself, coworkers, and now a couple company vehicles I know of 4 of these units. They have all been rock solid so far. Only checked the pressure on one and it shuts off at about 175 PSI. So 160 and still running sounds right.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Are you talking about the end cap with the ¼NPT outlet that is clockable?

You might find something at McMaster? Between myself, coworkers, and now a couple company vehicles I know of 4 of these units. They have all been rock solid so far. Only checked the pressure on one and it shuts off at about 175 PSI. So 160 and still running sounds right.
Thanks for the info. The leaks are where the sq sided 1 1/2" gasket seals on the head.

Agreed Steve- excessive heat build up & excessive pressure on my internal ARB orange diff seals.

My lockers currently engage perfectly at 85/105psi. Even the pesky (least for hard core competition users) RD106 worked fine at those pressures.

Not one seal issue since 1987 (front ) & 1986 (rear) so even tho ARB tech said the older D60 & 14 bolt units wouldn't suffer "any problems" at ARB'S newer, higher operating pressures I'm not going to subject them to it OR the extra heat from 160+ psi isnt needed for sure either!

Appreciate the input guys!

I just thought, dreamed, hoped one nee item would be "plug & play"!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209_073633_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209_073633_Gallery.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Heat sink outlet hose.

Wouldn't mind effectively transferring some heat away from my nylon tubing.

With space limitations I was wondering if Teflon lined braided hose would actually dissipate any heat? Not compared to copper anyway but any experience for a heat sink?

5/16" copper tube wound in a tight dia would. 5 coils in a 3" circle.

Be a pain in the space I made for the Twin ARB but hey, I've only pulled it in/out 3 times after it's permanent mount last fall. That's w/o ever using it or turning it on- sure glad I checked.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have installed two using teflon lined stainless braid line. Advertised as turbo oil feed line. AN4 adaptor screwed into the compressor. I clocked the cover about 180° and fed the line past the heads. One is a fresh install, the other has had some run time without issues.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I have installed two using teflon lined stainless braid line. Advertised as turbo oil feed line. AN4 adaptor screwed into the compressor. I clocked the cover about 180° and fed the line past the heads. One is a fresh install, the other has had some r
I'll put about 3' of #6 AN in loops and call it good!

Thanks

Last edited: