• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AR15 Radius arm issue

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
I could use some help with my extended radius arm installation. I installed the BC broncos extended adjustable radius arm kit. I am having issues with the rod end binding inside the radius arm. The weld on radius arm bracket that came with the kit seems to have the wrong angle. I thought It was tight but ok. It appears that the weld on radius bracket may be designed for the stock length radius arm where the angle is greater from the bracket to the front end. See the images below. I am considering grinding a little relief into the radius arm, it looks like a little grinding could work. As well it should be noted that I had the radius arms powder coated and maybe there is simply extra material in the way and that the angle is normal. The suspension articulates fine however there is knocking sound every once in a while coming from the arms. Thank you for any help you can provide. Is grinding the answer?

Attachments

• IMG_7792.JPG
    IMG_7792.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_7791.JPG
    IMG_7791.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_7789.JPG
    IMG_7789.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_7786.JPG
    IMG_7786.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_7787.JPG
    IMG_7787.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_7798.JPG
    IMG_7798.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_7788.JPG
    IMG_7788.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 165

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have never installed or seen this kit installed, but are the frame bracket side specific? It looks like they would be angled correctly if you swapped sides, passenger for drivers side? Wouldn't they angle inward if swapped?

Hard to tell from pics, someone else with more experience will chime in.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
Thanks Ol Blue. The brackets are definitely side specific. I will post more pics. Its not actually the wrong direction, its just the bracket has too much angle. a 10 degree difference would make it work perfectly. If i swapped the brackets they would point in the wrong direction. Cheers

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yah this one is bugging me, so could you spin the bracket 180* on the frame rails? Wouldn't that angle the heim inward?

Really interested in seeing what the solution is.

again, good luck.

Thanks,

OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
angle

Yes if i spin the bracket 180 degrees the heim will point inward. However that wont work. the angle needs to flare out, it just needs to flare out less. ;)

bax

Old Member
It doesn't look very good the way it is.. But you could fix it with some offset washers.

OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
Offset washer

I am not sure where you would put the offset washer? The Heim is snug inside the radius arm.

OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
I spoke to BC and came up with a solution. I am going to cut the bracket and rotate the bracket to correct the angle. Then go back and re-weld.

bax

Old Member
There must of been something wrong with your bronco.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I am going to cut the bracket and rotate the bracket to correct the angle. Then go back and re-weld.

Which bracket? The bracket mounted to the frame? I hope you are a damn good welder. I would want a correct set of brackets and toss the ones you have now in the trash. Maybe buy a set from someone else.

Looks like you got some of that "legendary" customer service.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would just use stock radius arm brackets. I have a set of these arms in standard length using the factory brackets. Looking at mine it seems if you extended back it should improve on the angle instead of make it worse. Something sure not right but I'm betting a set of stock brackets in the right place would fix. Good luck.

DaveLev

Interesting thread. Does look to be 10% angle difference. I was going to suggest removing and re-welding, too, but once again I'm more interested in root cause. You say they weren't rotated 180 or put on the wrong side, so is the frame bent or were the parts you received not manufactured correctly? Watching this thread closely.

OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
more soon

I will post pictures as I re-fabricate the brackets. The angle is off the same amount on both sides.

OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
Which bracket? The bracket mounted to the frame? I hope you are a damn good welder. I would want a correct set of brackets and toss the ones you have now in the trash. Maybe buy a set from someone else.

Looks like you got some of that "legendary" customer service.

I have a pretty good welding setup and I think, (pray) that i can get good penetration on these brackets. I will layer the welds as well.

OP
OP
G

Georgelas

Loc.
Vienna
36e910cb92ef9125992254c68570b665.jpg