• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AODE 2WD Vs 4R70W 4wd

maverickconner

OK here is the delima, I have the adapter for the aode 2WD. I tore into it to put the shortened output shaft in and found it needs a lot of new parts. I have read that the 4R70W 4wd doesn't need to be torn down. Is the AODE kit the same, minus the output shaft or do I still have to tear a 4r70W 2wd down to put the shaft in? I'd like to keep the D20

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
You have to tear down the transmission and put the shaft in the 4R70W if you want to use that adapter you have. There is a different adapter that is like a round, flat disc that you don't have to do that, but it adds length to the drivetrain.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are a couple different kits. Since you started with a 2WD, I can guess what kit you got. Is it this one? https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...ford-bronco-dana-20-transfer-caseadapter-kit/

If so, yes the transmission still needs to come apart and the new output shaft installed.

The one https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Ford_AOD_to_Dana20_Adapter/Bronco_Transmission_Adapters doesn't. Contact Wild Horses and confirm I read that right.

But what I was thinking of as the 3rd option is https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...6-77-bronco-dana-20-transfer-caseadapter-kit/ and use the Explorer transmission tailhousing and transmission mount.

OP
OP
maverickconner

maverickconner

reading a little more I see that the ZF housing is the confusion. It will work with the 4R70W 4wd case. I have the first adapter listed. I have it torn down and can get it put together, looks like it will be about a wash except I don't have to modify my driveline.

Thanks guys.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Quick hijack.

Does the aod/4r70 need to be from a v8 explorer or will the v6 trans work?

V6 Explorer, never put a 4R70W in one. Those were A4LD (Automatic 4-speed Light Duty) based on the pinto C3 automatic.

But V6 F150, the 4.2, that has the correct transmission. Just an incorrect flexplate (it will bolt up but is the wrong balance)

And for V8 Explorer, has to be the 5.0 pushrod V8 engine used '96-01. Can't use the '02 and up automatic, wrong bellhousing. Bellhousing is part of the transmission casting.

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Explorer 5.0 / 4R70

Thanks, I will try the swap on the next bronco that I will start in March

Scored these at the wrecking yard today. Also have the computer and air box.

Attachments

• A64897CF-AA50-4F28-A2FA-F0D0DA7934AE.jpg
    A64897CF-AA50-4F28-A2FA-F0D0DA7934AE.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 550B844C-A1C4-43A0-A949-9518C84A6992.jpg
    550B844C-A1C4-43A0-A949-9518C84A6992.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 0D8B098F-ABE3-4DF8-960D-75C01D3DDB8E.jpg
    0D8B098F-ABE3-4DF8-960D-75C01D3DDB8E.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 30

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
V6 Explorer, never put a 4R70W in one. Those were A4LD (Automatic 4-speed Light Duty) based on the pinto C3 automatic.

But V6 F150, the 4.2, that has the correct transmission. Just an incorrect flexplate (it will bolt up but is the wrong balance)

And for V8 Explorer, has to be the 5.0 pushrod V8 engine used '96-01. Can't use the '02 and up automatic, wrong bellhousing. Bellhousing is part of the transmission casting.

I just looked at a tranny from a 96 5.0 explorer and it had the aode and not the 4r70w. Several videos on Youtube suggest that the 4r70w didn't start until later 98-99

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It is a 4R70W. Same case, they didn't change the casting. Want to see any source that says they didn't start until '98/99.

The transmission case itself didn't change, the gears inside did. That is where you will find people getting the 4R70W gears and stuffing them into the AOD, to get one (but not nearly enough) of the upgrades the 4R70W has to offer.
The AODE started in the early 90s as an updated AOD. By '94 I think everything had transitioned to the AODE, goodbye AOD. Then the wide ratio gear set came. For a year or two, on a couple of models, you got the AODE-W. That is an AOD, Electronicly controlled, Wide ratio gear set. Then the naming convention came to town and everything started getting a more engineering name. 4(speed)R(rear wheel drive)70(torque rating, in Newton Meter, at the input shaft, after the torque convertor, X10(or something like that)) W(wide ratio). GM shares almost the same naming, the 700R4 turned into the 4L60, added electronic controls and was the 4L60E. 6R80, 10R80, you can tell what they are by the names. Why Ford and GM did this I have no idea, but I like it.

So if you think the transmission didn't come until '98 or '99, lets see it. I can find some factory service manuals that show it a few years sooner.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
4R70W started in 96, but the ones you really want start in 98 due to some differences in the components inside being better quality. The most durable clutchset most clutches) comes in the 98+ navigator, but you can upgrade other models to match.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
It is a 4R70W. Same case, they didn't change the casting. Want to see any source that says they didn't start until '98/99.

The transmission case itself didn't change, the gears inside did. That is where you will find people getting the 4R70W gears and stuffing them into the AOD, to get one (but not nearly enough) of the upgrades the 4R70W has to offer.
The AODE started in the early 90s as an updated AOD. By '94 I think everything had transitioned to the AODE, goodbye AOD. Then the wide ratio gear set came. For a year or two, on a couple of models, you got the AODE-W. That is an AOD, Electronicly controlled, Wide ratio gear set. Then the naming convention came to town and everything started getting a more engineering name. 4(speed)R(rear wheel drive)70(torque rating, in Newton Meter, at the input shaft, after the torque convertor, X10(or something like that)) W(wide ratio). GM shares almost the same naming, the 700R4 turned into the 4L60, added electronic controls and was the 4L60E. 6R80, 10R80, you can tell what they are by the names. Why Ford and GM did this I have no idea, but I like it.

So if you think the transmission didn't come until '98 or '99, lets see it. I can find some factory service manuals that show it a few years sooner.

Nope no reason to bust out the books;D I stand corrected and finally figured out what I have is the earlier AODE-W as you and others suggested. That name change business is quite confusing!

Mine is a 96 AODE-W

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
So looks like the 4.2 was produced from 1997 to 2008. Just checked locally and there are many in-the wrecking yards. Also noticed that there are a bunch of 2wd 5 spd for cheap. Can the 5 spd be modified to work?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
5-speed manual? That is the Mazda M5R2. That is a really good choice. But it must be a 4WD. The 2WD isn't supported by the aftermarket for any adaptors.

5-speed auto? There isn't a controller that can run that. Didn't think they made a 5-speed auto outside of the 5R110 used in the superduty (too big and doesn't fit our choices of engines)

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Yes, manual

Will the 2wd clutch pedal assembly, master cylinder, etc work for a 4wd trans swap?

Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, manual

Will the 2wd clutch pedal assembly, master cylinder, etc work for a 4wd trans swap?

Thanks

Pedal, no, you need a Bronco part. The master and slave are wear items, generally want new when doing a conversion.

So really no usable parts from a 2WD.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Now I am wondering what I just bought! I got a 1997, 5.0, AWD, with the GT40 heads. I thought I was doing well getting one rig with the preferred heads (96-mid 97 models) and the 4R70W ... which sounds like I got the less desirable trans now. This will be a street rig only though, so "HD" options aren't really necessary.

Since I plan to have the transmission rebuilt, is the 50-2704E adapter the correct part to order and have the output shaft replaced during re-build?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Now I am wondering what I just bought! I got a 1997, 5.0, AWD, with the GT40 heads. I thought I was doing well getting one rig with the preferred heads (96-mid 97 models) and the 4R70W ... which sounds like I got the less desirable trans now. This will be a street rig only though, so "HD" options aren't really necessary.

Since I plan to have the transmission rebuilt, is the 50-2704E adapter the correct part to order and have the output shaft replaced during re-build?

That is a good combo. It is a 4R70W.

Since you are planning on a rebuild the only part that I would update is to put in the intermediate mechanical diode.

As for the adaptor, I am about to leave for work and don't have time to looks up which one that is. Can't answer right now.