• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone have a detailed thread for installing PS from Stock

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I bought the WH's PS conversion kit from stock manual steering that includes the lower steering shaft, pump, brackets, etc. Does anyone have or know of a detailed thread for installing this or one like it;

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/4Bolt_Quick_Ratio_Steering_System_Deluxe

I could not find one in the Tech articles, and was hoping for some guidance as I go.

This should answer most. If you have specific questions we would be happy to answer them.
http://cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/downloads/1950_12_15_11.pdf

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
WOW- doesn't even know what the instructions look like on his own link? - this is going to be at least a 15 page thread--;D

dont worry wildhorse has got some great guys and gear they will walk u thru it--

OP
OP
joshnjulie1

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
Take it easy....
I was hoping someone had already gone through the misery of doing this and capturing it in a thread. I do have the instrucitons, I have seen the video, and I have searched the thread.

Maybe I should be the one then?

geofw78

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
Josh - please do just that because PS is my next project and I would love a step by step video or a lessons learned sheet.

OP
OP
joshnjulie1

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
OK, I started it off on the install part and have the new box bolted up, the pitman arm on and the steering shaft cut, grooved, and put together with the new lower section. I did have a ? about the pitman arm and the grooves on the steering box. When I tightened up the bolt to mount the pitman arm to the gear box, I noticed quite a bit of teeth left above the pitman arm remaining. I cranked on it as much as I could trying to hold the wheel so the box didn't turn. I did not pay attention to how much in depth the teeth went and wanted to know if showing an inch or so of teeth above the pitman arm seemes normal. I think it is ok but I can't remember if there were teeth showing before on my old one or if it was too junked up with dirt and oil to tell.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK, I started it off on the install part and have the new box bolted up, the pitman arm on and the steering shaft cut, grooved, and put together with the new lower section. I did have a ? about the pitman arm and the grooves on the steering box. When I tightened up the bolt to mount the pitman arm to the gear box, I noticed quite a bit of teeth left above the pitman arm remaining. I cranked on it as much as I could trying to hold the wheel so the box didn't turn. I did not pay attention to how much in depth the teeth went and wanted to know if showing an inch or so of teeth above the pitman arm seemes normal. I think it is ok but I can't remember if there were teeth showing before on my old one or if it was too junked up with dirt and oil to tell.

Can you post a picture? 1" sounds like a lot. The pitman shaft is tapered at the splines so don't expect the arm to go all the way up.