• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody run a Z50Z ford crate motor??

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While you may think the Ford Z engine sounds good and the cam is good for a 4x4 I highly doubt that it is look at where the peak torque is 5000 RPM I'm sure that the peak HP is higher than that.
I would bet that that engine would be doggy on the low end and probably need some computer tweaking to get it to run correctly with a stock ECM probably why they test it with a carb and it comes with a v belt type water pump.

As for head size while I'm sure they are a little on the big side and you might gain a little with smaller heads I run TFS heads on my 302 in my 73 and it runs way better now than it did with stock heads I didnt lose anything on the low end I gain a lot. But if I did it again I would go with smaller valves. MY next engine will get the world products windsor JR heads I have sitting in my shed.

For a little more you could stay with a 351 based engine but still EFI would need to be tweaked. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10757

But I'm sure there are other engines availible out there for less money. The limited warrentee is pretty limited and to me really not a factor.

Ford used to have fairly bone stock replacement engines I dont know if they still do or not but they used to have a 2V 351 that put out 250 hp it would probably wake it up a great deal to install some good heads and a good cam and it would be cheaper and better suited for a bronco.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
you running 91 octane?

Nope, I spec'd it to run on regular gas, so it's set-up for 87 octane (since I live at 7K' that's the same as 89 octane in the flatlands). Compression ratio is at 9.5:1, barely above stock considering the aluminum heads.

I will have to spend some quality time with the TwEECer once I get the wiring finished.
Joe