• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Amazed and Help Decoding Factory Interior (Seat) Tags

syndicate1

Contributor
My rig ceases to amaze me. It’s been a never ending time capsule.

Getting ready to drop off my seats at the upholstery shop, this evening I removed the front seats and rear seat bench and seat back.

After I removed the rear seat back, I noticed that the seat cover was held together with hog rings. It seemed odd at the time but knew the original owner had them recovered. I pulled a few of the hog rings and found the original explorer upholstery in tact! I was blown away and every bit along the lines of how the original owner’s attention to preserving the rig over the years. See the first pic.

After I removed the driver’s seat, I flipped it over to remove the slider assembly and found the factory interior tags attached to the seat springs. I was blown away, again.

Does anyone know how to decode the factory interior tags?

d79e05df4a717f7f632aac12c4c07f60.jpg

2968576c954c55dca9a60f89d80b894c.jpg

2fb39c26c4c8258e8d986a2f74590cfe.jpg

4446b35821cf7e55969f76181eff13e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bayoubronco

The FB Group "Early Bronco VIN Decoding...." might be a resource....

And, thanks for the tip on the seat codes. I'll check mine tomorrow.

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
The more I look at the first tag, “SS 06 24 74”, the more I wonder if 06 24 74 might be the actual build date? My door sticker Mfg Date is 07/74.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
The more I look at the first tag, “SS 06 24 74”, the more I wonder if 06 24 74 might be the actual build date? My door sticker Mfg Date is 07/74.

Yes. The date code is the date the spring packs were manufactured and the other tag is the Ford part number.

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
So, was the original upholstery in good enough condition to not need recovering? If so, that is awesome and we need more pics!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Especially given the color! Very unusual in my own experience at least. Not sure I can remember seeing that material color or not.
What was the original color of the Bronco? White by any chance? Does not look like an original Blue style, but I could be wrong.

Can't wait to hear and see more.

paul

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Especially given the color! Very unusual in my own experience at least. Not sure I can remember seeing that material color or not.
What was the original color of the Bronco? White by any chance? Does not look like an original Blue style, but I could be wrong.

Can't wait to hear and see more.

paul
It appears to be the blue Explorer interior; the 'tweed' that was used in '73 and '74. There were actually two patterns used and this shot is really close-up, but it appears to be the one that is a bit less common.

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
So, was the original upholstery in good enough condition to not need recovering? If so, that is awesome and we need more pics!

It turns out the original upholstery was only under the rear backrest. And yes, it is in excellent condition. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to reuse this piece because the new seat covers will be made using NOS ginger vinyl and ginger houndstooth, not blue.

The upholstery shop is using the original blue piece as the model for matching the details when they make the new seat covers. I asked the shop to save this original upholstery for me to keep.

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
It appears to be the blue Explorer interior; the 'tweed' that was used in '73 and '74. There were actually two patterns used and this shot is really close-up, but it appears to be the one that is a bit less common.

Correct! This is the original ‘74 blue explorer interior with the houndstooth cloth inset. Explorer’s came with a color matched interior (dashboard, carpet, seats and door & quarter panels). Ford also offered a second cloth inset options, indian blanket in addition to the houndstooth.

5b5d13b06083eaa1efe8539c306e907f.jpg

4f43fdc5933082dba3b2d31320db886f.jpg

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
That’s a Ranger in your first pic. Rangers are the only ones that came with the houndstooth interior.

Well my rig is an Explorer that came with the houndstooth. See the first pic in the original post.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Well my rig is an Explorer that came with the houndstooth. See the first pic in the original post.

I saw that. Like FordFan said, it is one of the Explorer patterns. Here is a close up picture of Houndstooth and a rear seat. I see a lot of people refer to Explorer covers as Houndstooth but Ford never called them that. They did call the Ranger covers Houndstooth. Explorer patterns and Houndstooth are very different. One Explorer pattern is more of a plaid and that is probably what you have. Ford referred to the stripe pattern as “Random stripe” like the third photo. That one is on eBay now. The last photo is the plaid in a 74.

c03029145edf14d1bcdb342448bd904d.jpg

3bf5293e5dcf3ebd62a83fe4d5624c69.jpg

e36b5e1be1d61bf3fdadf06ed38e4fb3.jpg
j

4e9448df4cd546e4cc1a825bbbef92b4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
The plot thickens... I pulled the front carpet today and the factory original blue rubber floor liner is preserved, covered in years of dust that can be cleaned. Can’t wait to see the condition of the floor boards.

b5650c4c8ca637af2124404bf51a4d40.jpg

74b288b8969aec18c212a69baff582f9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
I saw that. Like FordFan said, it is one of the Explorer patterns. Here is a close up picture of Houndstooth and a rear seat. I see a lot of people refer to Explorer covers as Houndstooth but Ford never called them that. They did call the Ranger covers Houndstooth. Explorer patterns and Houndstooth are very different. One Explorer pattern is more of a plaid and that is probably what you have. Ford referred to the stripe pattern as “Random stripe” like the third photo. That one is on eBay now. The last photo is the plaid in a 74.

c03029145edf14d1bcdb342448bd904d.jpg

3bf5293e5dcf3ebd62a83fe4d5624c69.jpg

e36b5e1be1d61bf3fdadf06ed38e4fb3.jpg
j

4e9448df4cd546e4cc1a825bbbef92b4.jpg

I think this is the blue plaid, similar to the red interior.

6ee098ff66b45f6101ef6f71befcbdb3.jpg

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, both those floors and mat are in impressive condition. Sure you don’t want to go with the original color? Your mailbox has probably filled up from folks who would love to have that original rare-as-hens -teeth blue mat!!

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
Wow, both those floors and mat are in impressive condition. Sure you don’t want to go with the original color? Your mailbox has probably filled up from folks who would love to have that original rare-as-hens -teeth blue mat!!

If the exterior paint was the original blue, I would most definitely go with the original interior. The blue interior is too busy with the the yellow paint and since a new paint job back to blue is not in the near future budget, I chose to ginger because it works with yellow and blue paint.

I haven’t pulled the rear carpet but my guess is that the rear mat is just as nice as the front. I’m planning on keeping the blue mat exactly where it is... under the new carpet. Fortunately, my mailbox is empty!

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
[mention]Slowleak [/mention] I’ve read some of your posts on other threads about carpets... I ordered carpet with mass backing and I’m planning to keep the rubber mat in place. Since the old carpet stuck to the rubber mat, I’m worried about the mass backing doing the same. Any suggestions for a thin material to lay on top of the mat before I install the new carpet?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
[mention]Slowleak [/mention] I’ve read some of your posts on other threads about carpets... I ordered carpet with mass backing and I’m planning to keep the rubber mat in place. Since the old carpet stuck to the rubber mat, I’m worried about the mass backing doing the same. Any suggestions for a thin material to lay on top of the mat before I install the new carpet?

If it was me, I would remove the mat and preserve it. They can get crunchy. Your floors look great but the mats will capture moisture and cause rust if you ever do have a water leak. You will also find yourself constantly wondering what is going on under that mat if the carpet ever gets wet. Carpet, and mass backing can be easily dried without fully removing them but you would have to take the mat out to be sure no water was underneath.
The mass backing is usually made of recycled fabric so there is no telling what might be in it. It appears to be mostly cotton. Safest thing to prevent sticking might be some type of craft paper or a coated paper like butcher paper.

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
If it was me, I would remove the mat and preserve it. They can get crunchy. Your floors look great but the mats will capture moisture and cause rust if you ever do have a water leak. You will also find yourself constantly wondering what is going on under that mat if the carpet ever gets wet. Carpet, and mass backing can be easily dried without fully removing them but you would have to take the mat out to be sure no water was underneath.
The mass backing is usually made of recycled fabric so there is no telling what might be in it. It appears to be mostly cotton. Safest thing to prevent sticking might be some type of craft paper or a coated paper like butcher paper.

Thanks! All good points that I hadn’t considered, especially the fact that mats capture moisture. Preserve the floorboards takes priority over preserving the mats.