• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator amp?

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
So my alternator on my 302 crate motor has gone bad. I’m suspecting it’s from an arc weld on my chassis while the battery was connected.

Anyway, O’Reily’s wasn’t sure which amperage. They suggested their 60 amp replacement.
Thoughts?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
As long as it is a G1 small case and you don't exceed 60 amp (amp gauge and wiring is rated for that) you should be good.

The Alt has been around a long time, rated at something like 38 amps up to 60 amps.

Torkman66

Contributor
So for those that have upgraded to a single wire 100amp alt, what is required to protect/use the alt gauge?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In our case it’s not the gauge you’re protecting. It’s all the rest of the wiring.
The main charge wire was never expected to need to carry 100a especially for any extended period of time.
So as with almost any high output alternator install over 70a or so, you need to create a new charge wire that runs directly from the alternator to the battery.
Or more commonly, directly to the battery side of the starter relay.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
O’Reily’s wasn’t sure which amperage. They suggested their 60 amp replacement.
Common to upgrade to the higher output.
As said, depending on the year and options, an Early Bronco could have had an alternator with a mid-thirties output to one maybe up to 55a back then.
Didn’t take long for the aftermarket to raise that to 60, then 65 amps.
You can even find them up to 100 and more, but not usually at a parts store as a replacement. And then they often use GM alternators as the core. And you still have to upgrade the charging wires for the over-70 models.
As said, you can use any one up to 60, or 65a safely.

As long as your wiring is still in good shape that is!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
In our case it’s not the gauge you’re protecting. It’s all the rest of the wiring.
The main charge wire was never expected to need to carry 100a especially for any extended period of time.
So as with almost any high output alternator install over 70a or so, you need to create a new charge wire that runs directly from the alternator to the battery.
Or more commonly, directly to the battery side of the starter relay.

yes sir