• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

All kinds of brake questions! P-Valve/E-Brake/Line Lock

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I need to do some brake work and am wondering a few things- maybe you gurus can help me out?

- proportioning valve; this is so the rear drums won't lock up before the front discs right? suggestions on which one to get? Single inlet/outlet? fixed or adjustable?

- E-Brake; anyone remember the thread to convert to the pull style hand brake or have another suggestion? My E-brake is useless with the cage in the way... is there a workaround?

- line lock; is it recommended to do one for both the front and the rear? they are all 1/8" fittings because the stock lines are 1/8" right? Suggested types or MFGs?

Hydroboost is coming soon so I'm buying all my parts now- any help is greatly appreciated!

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Proportioning valve - Its main job is to regulate brake pressure so that you get more braking up front than out back and yes, keeps the rears from locking before the fronts.

E-brake - A slick workaround I saw to the cage/pedal problem was to drill through the arm and install a "peg" so you can push down on the peg without having to contort your foot around behind the cage. I still contort my foot around the cage but will add the peg at some point.

Line locks - not a perfect substitute for an e-brake but handy to have. I'd probably do front and rear locks if I were to run them but that's mainly because I overdo everything. I would think one would be fine though. What about putting the lock upstream of the prop valve so it locks all 4?

PeteO

Loc.
Tappahannock
do yourself a favor and call inlinetube.com!!!!!!!!!!

great people and i dont think you can go wrong!

i just finished fighting a rusty system trying to pc it together to save a coupe bucks. under 300 and you get SS lines and braided hoses all cnc bent. couple weeknights wasted. rip it all out and go new. they got the provalves you need and the disk drum can be modified to disk disk real quick.

rtreinen

I have been running line locks for about 8 years. Tried the hand lever e brakes with drum brakes and was never satisfied with the performance. Did the disc brakes on the 9 and went with line locks. Never had a problem with them. Also thought was a good idea when winching outside of the cab to be able to lock both axles with the brakes. I run Swagelok valves front and back mounted under dash below steering column.

Parts that I used (hope links work)

Proportioning valve
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Compact-Adjustable-Proportioning-Valve,1979.html
speedway motors Compact Adjustable Proportioning Valve

Line lock article off pirate
http://img1.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816850
search line locks on pirate4x4 for more info

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Proportioning valve - Its main job is to regulate brake pressure so that you get more braking up front than out back and yes, keeps the rears from locking before the fronts.

E-brake - A slick workaround I saw to the cage/pedal problem was to drill through the arm and install a "peg" so you can push down on the peg without having to contort your foot around behind the cage. I still contort my foot around the cage but will add the peg at some point.

I can get the foot pedal down, I just can't pull the lever to release it :cry:

Proportioning valve
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Compact-Adjustable-Proportioning-Valve,1979.html
speedway motors Compact Adjustable Proportioning Valve

Line lock article off pirate
http://img1.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816850
search line locks on pirate4x4 for more info

thanks for the links- in the proportioning valve what are the dis/advantages to a fixed versus adjustable?

Do I want a dual inlet/dual outlet, one for the front and one for the back?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If adding a prop valve go adjustable so you can fine tune your brakes how you like. The easy e-brake fix is to drill a new hole over to the right on the bottom of the dash and just angle the e-brake assembly over to miss cage. As for a line lock I have one that works with a cylinder key on the dash for security. Turn key, hit pedal and it locks all 4 tires. Remember a line lock is not an e-brake. For safety and inspection purposes the e-brake has to be manual/cable operated for if you lose line pressure in the system.