• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

aftermarket radio power

YNOTBOB2007

I am wondering if I can power my aftermarket radio with either the map light boot or the cigarette lighter boot. Both of these are open under the dash and not being used. My radio has an inline fuse, which recently melted (it had a 3amp fuse in it...perhaps too small?). It is not a powerful radio and I had lights/heater running at the same time. I would prefer to ditch the inline fuse on my radio (since it is melted & needs to be replaced) and use what is open for the cigarette lighter or map light. What do you think?

KDW66

You can use either but I would use the map light over the lighter. In either case you should still put a fuse on the radio.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Do you want to have to reach over and shut off the radio every time you shut off the ignition and get out of your Bronco? You'll have to do that if you wire it to a constant hot wire. If you want the radio to shut off with the ignition switch you'll need to find a wire that has no power when the key is off. Always install a fuse for the radio hot wire otherwise the radio will burn up due to any unexpected power surge.

OP
OP
Y

YNOTBOB2007

Are you saying I should have an inline fuse in addition to the map light or cigarette lighter fuse? I understand about having to turn off radio independently of the ignition switch. Thanks.

moses_m

You can hook it up to a lighted toggle switch and manually turn it off and on. Works great if you like to hear tunes when being outdoors and having the option to remove keys.