• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

97 351W "pre-install" set up

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So ive aquired a 97 f250 plow truck with 60K and a running 351W in it to put into my 71 frame off. the truck has a broke front axle and other woes that render it un-inspectable. i got it reasonable enough that i could likely harvest the EFI and unload the rest for what i paid for it. thats not the point however...

From what ive read so far, the 97 is ODBII and its much easier to install an mustang or explorer EFI on it than try to retain the OBDII (yes/no?). with this in mind, would it be possible to perform the obdI wire harness swap and computer set up while the motor is still in the f250 with access to radiator and fuel tank etc? in my mind, it would be good to know that this portion of the converison is all set before hauling the 351 out of the truck. I dont care that it runs like a top in this regard as the exhaust is rotted off and yada yada yada I will likely rebuild the 351 before it goes into the bronco anyway. Is this more trouble than its worth? i was half thinking this to be a not too bad winter project while its too cold to do much else body work wise.

is this a fools errand and not worth the effort, or a good step to get ironed out earlier rather than later?

thanks

Hank

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
The engine block can be used, and the oil pan if its a rear sump. Front dress may not fit in the engine compartment, but I don't know first hand. the truck lower intake manifold, and fuel rails/injectors can be used, but you will need an adapter from BC broncos to run a 5.0 upper manifold. I would get the entire harness from a 5.0(either speed density or MAF) and use instead of trying to piece together something. Original Bronco front dress and flywheel/flexplate can be used on the 5.8. as all were 28oz balance engines. You will need a bracket adapter for the bronco PS pump and alternator, as well as a clutch bracket adapter if you are running a manual tranny with orig clutch bracketry.
It will be a lot easier to adapt the hard parts on the block on an engine stand, or in the bronco if the front clip is removed. All the harness and other associated Ford EFI stuff can be placed in the engine compartment after the motor and front clip are installed.
Keep in mind, You have to match the correct distributor gear to the cam...Cast gear vrs steel gear/roller cam/regular cam...I wont qoute which goes with what, as dont remember, but likely you will be using a truck TFI dizzy from the mid 80's with a gear matching a regular cam. You have a 97 or 98 roller cam engine, and I do not think the dizzy can be modified to run with the mustang/5.0 car harness/computer.
Its a great swap, and I ventured down the EFI path with custom this and that, pieced together harnesses, but in the end I went back to my Qjet and HEI dizzy combo due to its simplicity and endurance.