• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

96 explorer swap questions

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
morning fellas!,

project 5.0 is coming along nicely. few more questions while prior to reassembling the serp set up. i took everything off the front so i can clean and repaint.

1. what are you all doing with the EGR system? leave it or delete it?
2. Charcoal canister/Purge valve solenoid delete yes/no and why or why not?
3. while i have the serp system of the engine now is my chance to replace all the hoses. do i replace with stock rad hoses, water pump to thermostats housing etc.? basically need to know if should be picking up all stock 96 explorer hoses? i believe i have to get a reverse flow radiator correct?

one of the guys at TBP had mentioned something about the thermostat housing might need changing? not sure why it would though?

thank you in advance

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
morning fellas!,

project 5.0 is coming along nicely. few more questions while prior to reassembling the serp set up. i took everything off the front so i can clean and repaint.

1. what are you all doing with the EGR system? leave it or delete it?
2. Charcoal canister/Purge valve solenoid delete yes/no and why or why not?
3. while i have the serp system of the engine now is my chance to replace all the hoses. do i replace with stock rad hoses, water pump to thermostats housing etc.? basically need to know if should be picking up all stock 96 explorer hoses? i believe i have to get a reverse flow radiator correct?

one of the guys at TBP had mentioned something about the thermostat housing might need changing? not sure why it would though?

thank you in advance

Remember Papy there are many ways to skin a cat, as they say...

I think most people eliminate the EGR system, mainly because they think smog stuff is bad or maybe because they find it is a pain in the ass to keep it. That 90* elbow houses the EGR valve and every year except 1996 the valve is externally feed from the right manifold. 1996 is internally feed like a 87-93 Mustang. Routing for air inlet with external EGR and the 90* elbow, becomes a pain. I just used an aftermarket Mustang EGR spacer and modified the 96 Explorer TB arm to use a mustang throttle cable, keeping the EGR. You have to use a 67mm EGR spacer, or hog out the factory one. There is some minor clearancing that needs done on the upper manifold and the spacer. But so far it is working. Or with 97-2001 Explorers, you make a new air tube off the elbow to the MAF.
Charcoal canister - Explorer stuff you need to delete, as it involves pressuring the fuel tank. That's the Short story. EFI Guy has added a purge valve from a Mustang to the harness, so you can adapt Mustang CC to the Bronco.
Change all the hoses, water pump, and the thermostat. You can buy a reverse flow Rad or keep the stock one. For a stock one, have it boiled out and rod/repair... Start fresh. The hose from the water pump to cooling tube is obsolete. Use the same hose from a 87-93 Mustang, cut to fit after Alt and bracket is installed to get the best fit. Bypass hose is available. Lower rad hose using a WH#5031 lower cooling tube and a Bronco factory lower hose that you cut, for a stock Rad. Maybe someone else will chime in on alternatives, (2002 Ford Super duty truck hose for a 7.3 never worked for me) Upper hose with stock Rad I used a (Summit) Continental #60710 hose, which is a factory Bronco upper. The others brands were different. You put it on backwards, cut and splice it in the middle, so you can rotate the ends some. Use the Explorer Thermostat housing.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
A couple different pictures to see how things can be done...

96 motor with Mustang EGR spacer and modified Explorer TB. This ONLY works on the 96 Manifold that is internal fed with exhaust gases.

Heater control valve and hoses. Murray Heater control valve #74628. This valve flows opposite to the Bronco valve, but correct for the Explorer flow. Gates hose #19070 is cut to fit and you use this one hose to do heater.

2000 motor with EGR and Elbow

Upper Rad hose

Hope this helps.... Doug

Attachments

• DSCN5297.jpg
    DSCN5297.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN3957.jpg
    DSCN3957.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20161026_210929243_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161026_210929243_HDR.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN4049.jpg
    DSCN4049.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN4048.jpg
    DSCN4048.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN4056.jpg
    DSCN4056.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 191
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor

96 motor with Mustang EGR spacer and modified Explorer TB. This ONLY works on the 96 Manifold that is internal fed with exhaust gases.

Heater control valve and hoses. Murray Heater control valve #74628. This valve flows opposite to the Bronco valve, but correct for the Explorer flow. Gates hose #19070 is cut to fit and you use this one hose to do heater.

Upper Rad hose

Hope this helps.... Doug

great! thank you
cheers!

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Hello members,

Has anyone here tried to retrofit the 96-01 explorer 5.0 fuel lines? They seem to be about the same length (engine to tank) which makes me wonder with some slight bending/adjusting they can be used on our EB explorer swaps.

If anyone here has attempted and or has been successful in doing so can you please reply.

Thanks

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor

Upper Rad hose

Hope this helps.... Doug

hello 904bronco,

i have decided to delete the egr from my 1996 explorer 5.0 engine swap. moving along with a few things today and i have a few questions - hope you can answer them for me. .

1. do i use a paper gasket to remount the throttle body to the intake or a wire mesh one? paper was used between the TB and elbow and a wire mesh between elbow to intake manifold.

2. what do i do with the egr hole that is located at the bottom of the 96 manifold? do i leave it as is or plug it?

3. i noticed the top right side of the egr elbow has a provision for a bolt to mount the throttle cable bracket, the upper bolt on the bracket. what needs to be modified, fabricated to properly mount the throttle cable bracket?

Attachments

• IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 49

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have not done what you are planning, but from other posts I have read... I would assume that you would use the Explorer TB gasket to mate the TB to the upper plenum. The other style gasket is designed to deal with heat/back half of EGR elbow, which you are eliminating.

You will have to plug the round hole in the lower plenum. Tap hole with threads and use sealant with a flat threaded plug, probably with a hex/allen drive. Then use standard gasket between the two plenums

Don't think the accel cable is long enough to reuse that factory bracket in that configuration? Probably have to fab your own... or reach out to JSmall here on the site who had made a number of custom brackets he designed....

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199794&highlight=jsmall&page=61

Hope this gets you going...

Post 915

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor

Upper Rad hose

Hope this helps.... Doug

few more things...

1. you suggest a/c delete by pass pulley and bracket or just the Gates Serp belt #K060825 for AC delete?

2. looks like the paper or mesh gasket to re mount the throttle body is non existent in my part of the world. what you suggest as a replacement? rtv?
thanks

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
few more things...

1. you suggest a/c delete by pass pulley and bracket or just the Gates Serp belt #K060825 for AC delete?

2. looks like the paper or mesh gasket to re mount the throttle body is non existent in my part of the world. what you suggest as a replacement? rtv?
thanks

Cannot get these? Napa had to order them for me... (You need the Left one.)

AC delete: remove compressor and use the shorter belt... keep all the other pulleys (idlers)
Just added a picture for reference...

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_115445989.jpg
    IMG_20200125_115445989.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN3552.jpg
    DSCN3552.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
bsquared.what radiator are you running in your combo? how is it held to sheetmetal? thanks

Good luck with your build and here's a few pics in case they help. Cheers, B2[/QUOTE]

bsquared

Contributor
bsquared.what radiator are you running in your combo? how is it held to sheetmetal? thanks

Hi Ricky,
I used a Champion aluminum radiator meant for a 1970 Mustang. Passenger in and driver out to match the reverse flow water pump. It had the tanks on the top and bottom like my I-6 radiator had, instead of on the sides like what came on the 302 Broncos.
I cut off the mounts, "flipped" them and added some spacers to make it fit just right. Made a shroud out of some left over aluminum I got from work. Here's a few pics. Good luck! B2

Attachments

• MountSpacers.JPG
    MountSpacers.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 84
  • MountSpacers1.JPG
    MountSpacers1.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 84
  • Shroud2.JPG
    Shroud2.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Shroud7.JPG
    Shroud7.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Shroud9.JPG
    Shroud9.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Shroud92.JPG
    Shroud92.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Shroud93.JPG
    Shroud93.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Shroud94.JPG
    Shroud94.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 91

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Cannot get these? Napa had to order them for me... (You need the Left one.)

AC delete: remove compressor and use the shorter belt... keep all the other pulleys (idlers)
Just added a picture for reference...

Nice frame, which PS box is that?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Nice frame, which PS box is that?

Thanks. A few hours wire-wheeling, welding up holes, cutting off aux brackets for what I don't know? A blast and then Powder coat.

Box is a standard 6-turn factory unit with BCB re-enforcement plate.

Thx for looking.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
thanks for the reply. I am just trying to decide which way to go so asking around.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
I have not done what you are planning, but from other posts I have read... I would assume that you would use the Explorer TB gasket to mate the TB to the upper plenum. The other style gasket is designed to deal with heat/back half of EGR elbow, which you are eliminating.

You will have to plug the round hole in the lower plenum. Tap hole with threads and use sealant with a flat threaded plug, probably with a hex/allen drive. Then use standard gasket between the two plenums

Don't think the accel cable is long enough to reuse that factory bracket in that configuration? Probably have to fab your own... or reach out to JSmall here on the site who had made a number of custom brackets he designed....

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199794&highlight=jsmall&page=61

Hope this gets you going...

Post 915

thank you for the info and pics.
cheers

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Doug,
Been a while hope all is well! Just looking back at this thread and i am trying to find a hose/part number for the water pump to heater tube that you suggested from an 87-93 mustang as the 96 explorer one is obsolete. Seems like there's a lot of options ( a/c no a/c) which one did you use? Would you happen to have a part number?

Thanks

Remember Papy there are many ways to skin a cat, as they say...

I think most people eliminate the EGR system, mainly because they think smog stuff is bad or maybe because they find it is a pain in the ass to keep it. That 90* elbow houses the EGR valve and every year except 1996 the valve is externally feed from the right manifold. 1996 is internally feed like a 87-93 Mustang. Routing for air inlet with external EGR and the 90* elbow, becomes a pain. I just used an aftermarket Mustang EGR spacer and modified the 96 Explorer TB arm to use a mustang throttle cable, keeping the EGR. You have to use a 67mm EGR spacer, or hog out the factory one. There is some minor clearancing that needs done on the upper manifold and the spacer. But so far it is working. Or with 97-2001 Explorers, you make a new air tube off the elbow to the MAF.
Charcoal canister - Explorer stuff you need to delete, as it involves pressuring the fuel tank. That's the Short story. EFI Guy has added a purge valve from a Mustang to the harness, so you can adapt Mustang CC to the Bronco.
Change all the hoses, water pump, and the thermostat. You can buy a reverse flow Rad or keep the stock one. For a stock one, have it boiled out and rod/repair... Start fresh. The hose from the water pump to cooling tube is obsolete. Use the same hose from a 87-93 Mustang, cut to fit after Alt and bracket is installed to get the best fit. Bypass hose is available. Lower rad hose using a WH#5031 lower cooling tube and a Bronco factory lower hose that you cut, for a stock Rad. Maybe someone else will chime in on alternatives, (2002 Ford Super duty truck hose for a 7.3 never worked for me) Upper hose with stock Rad I used a (Summit) Continental #60710 hose, which is a factory Bronco upper. The others brands were different. You put it on backwards, cut and splice it in the middle, so you can rotate the ends some. Use the Explorer Thermostat housing.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Doug,
Been a while hope all is well! Just looking back at this thread and i am trying to find a hose/part number for the water pump to heater tube that you suggested from an 87-93 mustang as the 96 explorer one is obsolete. Seems like there's a lot of options ( a/c no a/c) which one did you use? Would you happen to have a part number?

Thanks

rock auto shows several numbers for the 96 explorer bypass hose; gates 20662. dayco 71518

Hank