• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 Exhaust was sounding off

Ecavalino

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Couldn’t figure out why 74 was singing a different tune … until i discovered this! How not a clue! … But any suggestions on new mufflers? Throaty but not annoying? IMG_6479.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the Dynomax Super Turbos and UltraFlow mufflers.
First is a baffled design, but good sound and performance in dyno tests (see Engine Masters) and the second is a straight-through design that supposedly is still very mellow until you get on it.
I'm a fan of both just from reports and testing, but have not used either one yet. They are both on my 'when i get 'round to it" list for different rigs.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is from a backfire. Exhaust loaded air air/fuel mix and it exploded. Couldn't get out fast enough and the pressure spike popped the seam.

Muffler tastes vary greatly. A little rumble to some is nothing less than a straight pipe to someone else.
I would call a generic set of (Summit racing is an option) house brand turbo mufflers a plausible choice for your description. Inexpensive, fairly quiet, but not stock quiet.

OP
OP
Ecavalino

Ecavalino

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Went with set of turbos …. Nothing fancy but back to normal and sounds great … feels so much better when the rig runs well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I'm putting a Black Widow Venom 250, 2 into 1 muffler on my Bronco in a week or two. I'll post up a video, I heard one in person and it's got a good rumble sound to it. I got mine recently, really nice stainless construction. Like Broncobowsher said, taste varies. What sounds good to me may be obnoxious to you lol. Here's an F150 with dual venom 250s

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds fantastic. But I’d never put one on one of my trucks because it’s too loud for the neighborhood.
Though I wouldn’t mind hearing it running around town, and I wonder how it sounds while cruising the freeway (I assume you’ll let us know?) but it’s just a little too obnoxious for waking the neighbors up at four in the morning.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Sounds fantastic. But I’d never put one on one of my trucks because it’s too loud for the neighborhood.
Though I wouldn’t mind hearing it running around town, and I wonder how it sounds while cruising the freeway (I assume you’ll let us know?) but it’s just a little too obnoxious for waking the neighbors up at four in the morning.
I will definitely let everyone know! The one I heard in person was not overly loud, similar volume to a flowmaster 50 series but I thought the tone was a little deeper. Black Widows website claims the Venom 250 and 300 don't drone... we'll see lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can’t wait to hear about it. Pun intended!
I think the Flowmaster 50s sound great and are usually not too loud. So I agree that if they’re similar to that it should be a great set up.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Can’t wait to hear about it. Pun intended!
I think the Flowmaster 50s sound great and are usually not too loud. So I agree that if they’re similar to that it should be a great set up.
Also known as a 3 chamber Flowmaster... I just picked up one a Summit for my 79 project. Great to read on the label that they are made in China now :(

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Delta version should be even more mellow, I believe.
I didn’t know they were made in China, but it’s not surprising. They got big enough to do the volume, but can never compete with overseas pricing while made either here in Santa Rosa or Sacramento.
I knew they had been sourcing out some of the manufacturing, but didn’t realize there were complete units coming from China.
Again though, not surprised.