• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5 Point Seat Belts for Rear Seat?

clinem03

I am looking for a more secure set up for the rear seat in my 76 Wagon for the kiddos. My first thought is connecting 3 point seat belts and attaching the top point to the family roll cage once installed - but I fear that the top point may sit too far behind the rear seat t be effective or safe. The other option I have been thinking about is figuring out how I can install 5 point seat belts leveraging the existing holes for the lap belts. Has anyone installed 5 point seat belts for the rear seats?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
5 point with the stock seat is not a good plan, the shoulder harnesses potentially create a much worse issue than just lab belts. I have 5 point in mine but have a suspension bench seat with headrests and a bar at the correct level to attach the shoulder straps too and underneath to attach the sub belt to.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
tough to do with a seat so low with no upper body support or head rests. you probably would have to run a cross tube behind the seat just above shoulder height maybe pick up the top bolts on either side with 1-3/4 cross tube. could mount adjustable headrests on that too, but that doesnt fix a poorly designed seat. some people have put in more modern shoulder belts but still poor seat design. Maybe look at more modern replacement seat for the back.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm looking at puting a pair of reclining buckets on my removable mount system (from the mid row of a minivan) with 5 pt harnesses secured thru the harness holes to the floor below. But recently I've been seeing the APEX brand advertised on FB that sells a set of two buckets and a rear bench with room for two adults and one TINY person on the hump between them. https://www.aces-racing.com/pages/seats-and-harnesses-go

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Wow, sounds like the 5pt set up is a non-starter. What about doing the 3pt and having the top point a bit behind the seat mounted to the family roll cage? I can likely have a bracket added to extend it out a bit so it’s not directly attached to the cage.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, sounds like the 5pt set up is a non-starter. What about doing the 3pt and having the top point a bit behind the seat mounted to the family roll cage? I can likely have a bracket added to extend it out a bit so it’s not directly attached to the cage.

In the case of my cage, the Extreme Off Road cage-see pic below, there is no way to mount a three point belt because the bars are so far from the seat and certainly in the wrong place. I've thought about building a bar that bolts in using machined pieces between the bars that would get it closer, but it's still too far away from where I want it mounted. My fear is that spacing it out from a solid point would allow for bending and failure in the situation where the belt was trying to hold someone in place. So for now, my 9yo son uses a lap belt, and daughter (nearly 6) is still in the built in child harness in the seats I put in. But she's out growing that quickly and I need better offroading safety, which is better on road safety too, so I'm looking at new seats too.

cage2.jpg

Spareparts cage.jpg

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

In the case of my cage, the Extreme Off Road cage-see pic below, there is no way to mount a three point belt because the bars are so far from the seat and certainly in the wrong place. I've thought about building a bar that bolts in using machined pieces between the bars that would get it closer, but it's still too far away from where I want it mounted. My fear is that spacing it out from a solid point would allow for bending and failure in the situation where the belt was trying to hold someone in place. So for now, my 9yo son uses a lap belt, and daughter (nearly 6) is still in the built in child harness in the seats I put in. But she's out growing that quickly and I need better offroading safety, which is better on road safety too, so I'm looking at new seats too.

View attachment 510938

View attachment 510939

Sounds like a different (non OEM) backseat is the way to go to achieve this. Does anyone know of any seats that are close to the look of the original back bench seat that could work to allow for a 3 point belt?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To do it right and safe you need a crossbar right at top of seatback. Others you create more injury than you prevent imo.

Cooter_76

I struggled with this for a while, myself. This is the solution I came up with earlier this year:

40" Corbeau Baja bench seat with headrests (not pictuered), mounted in the factory holes using a frame I made out of angle iron:
49841724303_53f30cdb6d_z.jpg

49842569562_d0ff84b351_z.jpg

Then I used some tube clamps and shock tabs from Ballistic Fab to make some 3-rd point seat belt mounts to attach to the Bailie Bilt family cage:
49842264231_5fe598cdac_z.jpg

49841724273_b3b6b07dd4_z.jpg

This way the height of the seat belt can be adjusted as the kids grow.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I just happen to be looking at a seat. 2 wide, tape measure says 33". Should be more than narrow enough to fit a Bronco. Has 3-point seatbelts built into the seat. Even has proper headrests for adults, but they are detachable. The base would need modifying/rebuilding as it is tall. After all they are seats for a full size Nissan passenger van. For what they are they are pretty dang comfy for a van seat. The only thing that kept me from using one as my desk chair was I needed to add some casters to the bottom. Otherwise it is nicer than my desk chair.

squeezer

I added 4 point belts and headrests for the kids.

Built a subframe that mounts to the seat for the upper mounts and headrest guides.

Pics in my garage

P