• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Intake port question?

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
What goes into the port at the back of the intake manifold, where the yellow plug in now. I have an old rubber grommet that looks like it fits there bun nothing to put into the grommet.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240308_025421125.jpg
    PXL_20240308_025421125.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 58

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s for the PCV valve. There’s a rubber grommet, and a PCV valve for a 5.0 application. The 5.8’s still use the valve cover location, but the low profile nature of the factory 5.0 EFI upper manifold dictated that the PCV had to be moved.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like stock (Mustang?) valve covers. Does your passenger side have the oil fill with a single 3/8 inch hose barb?
If so, the hose there goes to the intake ache tube between the MAF and throttle body.

Then there should be a 3/8 inch tube, or perhaps two, at each end, underneath your upper intake plenum.
Hook at least one of them to the PCV valve you will install. From the factory, most often both were connected to a T and then to the valve.

Then you will have a fully functioning PCV system to keep the inside of the engine clean.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Be careful if you use that port. The 5.8L lightning intakes suck oil like a vampire from that location even with the baffle on the bottom of the intake and mesh screen in the PCV hole.

I had to move mine to the valve covers to stop the oil loss.

Tim

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Looks like stock (Mustang?) valve covers. Does your passenger side have the oil fill with a single 3/8 inch hose barb?
If so, the hose there goes to the intake ache tube between the MAF and throttle body.

Then there should be a 3/8 inch tube, or perhaps two, at each end, underneath your upper intake plenum.
Hook at least one of them to the PCV valve you will install. From the factory, most often both were connected to a T and then to the valve.

Then you will have a fully functioning PCV system to keep the inside of the engine clean.
Hey Paul, yes I did pickup a set of Mustang valve covers with the oil fill as you described. Thanks so much for the additional information for hooking up the pvc system. I can use all the help I can get.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Be careful if you use that port. The 5.8L lightning intakes suck oil like a vampire from that location even with the baffle on the bottom of the intake and mesh screen in the PCV hole.

Tim
Yep and it’s even worse if you build a stroker! My next mod will be to convert to the valve cover style system.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No matter the location, even a valve cover port can suck a lot of oil if it’s not really well baffled. So design it well.
Is yours a bigger engine gnsteam?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA

Tim
Wouldn't that just be a bad pcv valve? That's how I've understood the problem. Cheap fix for a new valve. Worst case scenario you could use an oil catch can in line but I would bet on it working before you write it off.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Wouldn't that just be a bad pcv valve? That's how I've understood the problem. Cheap fix for a new valve. Worst case scenario you could use an oil catch can in line but I would bet on it working before you write it off.
Nope...well documented issue on the 5.8 lightning intakes. I tried 3 new valves....didn't stop till I moved it to the valve cover.

Tim

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Nope...well documented issue on the 5.8 lightning intakes. I tried 3 new valves....didn't stop till I moved it to the valve cover.

Tim
Mind sharing a pic or two of how you hooked things up? As in, what valve covers, and how did you seal things up so it only vents into the throttle body.

I'm using a Trick Flow R intake but same thing, PCV at the back of the lower intake and it sucks oil like crazy despite being well-baffled. When I installed the 408 with said intake I used Ford Performance valve covers that matched what I'd been using for a couple of decades with my 5.0. Now thinking to block the rear PCV port and switch to a valve cover PCV. Inside of upper intake coated with oil and yes I've replaced the PCV several times.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if I remember correctly, the Explorer lower intake manifold specifically, had a much larger baffle in it then pretty much any other 5.0 manifold.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Mind sharing a pic or two of how you hooked things up? As in, what valve covers, and how did you seal things up so it only vents into the throttle body.

I'm using a Trick Flow R intake but same thing, PCV at the back of the lower intake and it sucks oil like crazy despite being well-baffled. When I installed the 408 with said intake I used Ford Performance valve covers that matched what I'd been using for a couple of decades with my 5.0. Now thinking to block the rear PCV port and switch to a valve cover PCV. Inside of upper intake coated with oil and yes I've replaced the PCV several times.
Lars, I’m experiencing the exact same issue with my Lightning intake on my 408. I’m pretty sure I have the same valve covers you’re using as well. I run a catch can but it gets filled up pretty quickly. I think I’m going to go to the tall aluminum Ford Racing covers. I’ll find something that is the correct size to block off the rear pcv port, put the pcv in the driver side vc, and get a filler neck with a nipple on it for the passenger side vc. I’ve been looking at this filler tube.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Lars, I’m experiencing the exact same issue with my Lightning intake on my 408. I’m pretty sure I have the same valve covers you’re using as well. I run a catch can but it gets filled up pretty quickly. I think I’m going to go to the tall aluminum Ford Racing covers. I’ll find something that is the correct size to block off the rear pcv port, put the pcv in the driver side vc, and get a filler neck with a nipple on it for the passenger side vc. I’ve been looking at this filler tube.
[/URL]
Thanks for the link! I didn't even realize that such a thing existed. Sometimes I get into a linear thinking mode, like in this case. Gee, the PCV valve is in the back of the lower intake, so I have to keep it there and live with it. Except, no I don't. Besides (hopefully) reducing oil consumption, it will make it easier to install and check the thing if it's out in the open. In my current situation the valve is pretty buried and difficult to reach to simply verify that it's seated in its grommet.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

I'll try and get a few pic's

Tim

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Thanks for the link! I didn't even realize that such a thing existed. Sometimes I get into a linear thinking mode, like in this case. Gee, the PCV valve is in the back of the lower intake, so I have to keep it there and live with it. Except, no I don't. Besides (hopefully) reducing oil consumption, it will make it easier to install and check the thing if it's out in the open. In my current situation the valve is pretty buried and difficult to reach to simply verify that it's seated in its grommet.
Yep mine is kind of a pain to get to as well.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
[/URL]
This is what I used to use. Worked great. I still have it if anyone needs one.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Yep mine is kind of a pain to get to as well.
Was just looking at Summit for valve covers. Not surprisingly, there are eleventeen bazillion (seriously, that's a vague but finite number) valve cover choices. Ideal would be ones with a baffled PCV port on one side and a breather port that can be blocked with an oil filler tube with port for the throttle body on the other. Looks like Trick Flow sells valve covers with no holes that can be drilled for what ever.

Sealing the back of the lower intake will probably be the easy part.

Very interested in what you come up with.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Was just looking at Summit for valve covers. Not surprisingly, there are eleventeen bazillion (seriously, that's a vague but finite number) valve cover choices. Ideal would be ones with a baffled PCV port on one side and a breather port that can be blocked with an oil filler tube with port for the throttle body on the other. Looks like Trick Flow sells valve covers with no holes that can be drilled for what ever.

Sealing the back of the lower intake will probably be the easy part.

Very interested in what you come up with.
Haha yep I fell asleep last night looking at all of vc choices that summit has 😂