• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W 4x4 or 2wd Does it matter?

Twidgeon

I'm looking into doing a explorer/mountaineer swap. Does it matter if the tranny comes from a 4x4 truck or 2wd?

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Both will work. I believe it only matters when ordering the AA Adapter. 4WD trans you have to cut the output shaft on the trans, 2WD you have to change output shaft.

Cutting is easy, not sure on the changing of the shaft. Hopefully someone else will chime in and correct me if Im wrong. I had a 4WD trans and cut maybe an inch from the output shaft.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The tailhousing on a 2wd is different from the tailhousing of the 4x4.

You would need a 4x4 tailhousing to bolt to the adapter or transfer case.

Attachments

• DSCN6601.JPG
    DSCN6601.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 65

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Different tailshaft between 2WD and 4WD as well. Total transmission tear down to change that shaft. It is literally the first part to go into the transmission when building one.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Different tailshaft between 2WD and 4WD as well. Total transmission tear down to change that shaft. It is literally the first part to go into the transmission when building one.

/\/\ That too.
So you buy the 2wd 4R70W, buy the 4x4 tailshaft housing, buy the 4x4 tailshaft and then since you have it all apart and you are replacing the seals anyway while you're at it rebuild it.

Attachments

• DSCN6589.JPG
    DSCN6589.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
T

Twidgeon

Thanks everyone!! That's exactly what I needed to know. There's a 4wd mountaineer and a 2 wheel drive explorer I'll be checking out this coming week. Hopefully the mountaineer is in good shape.

wsager

I thought that you used the ZF Advance Adapters adapter for the 4x4 4r70w, for the 2wd you use the 4r70w AA adapter (comes with tailshaft and housing). The 2wd is shorter, but costs about $100 or 150 more and requires the trans to be disassembled.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
2WD is not shorter. From the bellhousing to the tailhousing flange both transmissions are identical. The 2WD output shaft is actually longer as it is the slip yoke is part of the output shaft.

wsager

2WD is not shorter. From the bellhousing to the tailhousing flange both transmissions are identical. The 2WD output shaft is actually longer as it is the slip yoke is part of the output shaft.

Even after both are converted?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

These are the output shafts, the AA adapter adds a piece to the splined end of the shaft:

Attachments

• DSCN6589-labeled.jpg
    DSCN6589-labeled.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 27

Broncobowsher

Total hack

From the tailshaft mating flange forward, no difference. (tailshaft sticks out behind the mating flange even though it is installed from in front of it)
The actual transmission case itself, from the bellhousing flange to the tailshaft flange, is exactly the same in 2WD and 4WD.

Now how long the different adaptors are, I don't know. I lost track at somewhere around 3 different ways of doing it.

OP
OP
T

Twidgeon

Yeah sticking with the Dana 20. I really haven't looked into the explorer/mountaineer transfer case.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yeah sticking with the Dana 20. I really haven't looked into the explorer/mountaineer transfer case.

Well.....you could also bolt an NP-205 to that tranny with no adapter.

But it's a "big" transfer case

OP
OP
T

Twidgeon

Dang it!!! That's all I needed was more options :) What trucks have the NP-205? As far as the transfer case mounting goes, is there any need to alter the cross member?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Dang it!!! That's all I needed was more options :) What trucks have the NP-205? As far as the transfer case mounting goes, is there any need to alter the cross member?

If you want to run a NP-205 then do a classic bronco "Google search" you will learn a lot.

The 205 is very strong but not geared too low. It is big and will typically cause you to run your exhaust down passenger side.
But many have made it work very well for them.

You would see them in the 70's and 80's maybe even a few cab and chassis trucks well into the 90's. A lot of 70's trucks also had 203's and 208's....you don't want those....well maybe the range box off the 203 but that's it.

So....205 is great....but in regards to the crossmember..... it ain't a bolt on. Might be worth it to you though. Check into it. Lots of info here at CB on it,

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If looking at the NP205 not any NP205 will do. It has to be a Ford version. Driver's side drop, others put the front driveshaft on the passenger side. Needs to be married, not a divorced transfer case. Last I knew they were only used '73 to '79. '80 is a whole new truck and everything changed.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

both 2wd and awd have to be converted for dana 20. AA is one route, and the Zf adapter is another route. Someone mentioned a third, but I don't know that one. AA has everything in one kit. I had the 2wd and used the AA kit, but have sold that transmission. I now have an awd that I am going np205 on.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the np205 will complicate things. completely new cross member will be needed. stick with the dana 20.