• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

455 Olds in an EB???

RgdL

Loc.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My friend hit a deer yesterday with his low-mileage 455-powered Oldsmobile and it looks like the insurance company will probably write-off the car.

Would this engine be a good swap for a '74 Bronco? I know I know......a GM motor in a Ford........but I can get this really cheap and it's in great shape. I would also get the TH400 it's attached to, and I have a line on a divorced T-18 (I think). What about length issues if using the divorced transfercase??

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
It's a pretty big motor and depending on the year it migh not have much more power than a early 70's 302. It's bigger externally than a SBC or Ford so you would definalty have your work cut out for you. Fender trimming, fab up some motor mounts...You'll probalby spend more in little parts and fabracation getting it to work than you would on a well built 302 or 351.

If it's a early 70's 455 (the 1970 olds 455 had 510 lbs/ft torque) I'd go buy a cheep, mid to late 70's Firebird or TA with the old's 403, and drop that 455 in there. Smokin' up the block Bandit style!!!

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I know nothing of the motor, but I assume it's got to be a big block. I was once going to put a 390 in my bronco until I found out how much custom work it would take just to get it to fit. It was more than I could afford since I can't do it myself and way more time than I had. It'll be original if you do it, but it'll be a long uphill battle to get it in there.

J.D.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well why not. Reliable and incredibly torquey. I run 400s in my EBs..some guys even run 460s. I have two EB projects with other 'odd' motors..a Peugot 4-cyl diesl and a '49 Ford flathead V-8. I like the different stuff...

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i had a buddy back in high school that had one wiht a 455. it flat out flew!
packaging was another issue. he purchased it with the conversion already done. it for sure fills up the engine compartment. when he bought the truck it had a 3 speed, but you couldn't keep a clutch in it for long. ended up with a turbo 400. the adaptor isn't cheap to hook to the d20. advance sells them or did back in the 80's. cooling it was also tricky.
it would be a lot of work to install and expensive by the time you add in all the custom parts & fab you'll need. for the money you could easily drop in a 351 stroker and get the power for far less work & $.
anything is possible, it all just takes time and money.if you don't have the time, you better have the money to buy someone elses.
my .02
nick

70bronc

Loc.
st. peters, MO
you run a 49 flathead v8 in a bronco? wow. i have a 49 ford sedan i am rebuilding (slowly) and a 53 flathead i am gonna put in it. i love the old flatheads, but i never thought i would see one on a bronco. pics?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not all together..close though. I picked up a dual-point/dual-coil 50s vintage racing dizzy, Edelbrock aluminum heads and a Flathead Jacks Holley 4V intake and cam for it. I love the way a 'hopped up' flattie sounds. I'm figuring this beast will probably make a whopping 130 HP. WoooT. The 6-banger stock '68 driveline will have no issues with it, I'm pretty sure. ;D

I'll post some pics but I promised Mo at BD that they would get first crack at publishing the final result.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wildbill said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Not a good choice. :eek: :eek: :eek: Bill :p :p :p

Which choice ya talking about, Bill..the original thread topic or the hijack? ;D

OP
OP
R

RgdL

Loc.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well, I think you guys talked me out of it. :p

The 302 in it seems to run fine so it might be more practical to just stick with that for now.

Thanks for all the input.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
The 455 Olds engine is absolutely huge and heavy. It's not worth your time as there would be no possible way to get exhaust on the engine. Look at the heads and you will see what I am talking about. I would buy the engine, and sell it on a Olds / Pontiac board then take that money and build yourself a 393 or 408 Windsor.

HEMPS66BRONCO

Loc.
Gerrardstown,WV
I would have to agree with 76broncofromhell on this. I had 2 442 olds with 455s and they have to be the widest engine I've ever seen. not to say it can't been done but I wouldn't waste my money to try it.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Ive seen an old army flatfender with a Ford flathead, and Ive seen a cool motorcycle with a V-8 flathead.