• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3g alternator and painless wiring harness

Sherlock

I'm installing the 3g alt with painless harness. On the alternator voltage regulator plug, the wires aren't color coded and in not sure which wires correspond to the yellow, green/red and orange to connect to the wiring harness. Is there a way to determine which voltage regular wire goes to the correct harness colored wire?

Attachments

• 3B1D8E08-A63D-45DC-8438-A3C87B56C9DB.jpg
    3B1D8E08-A63D-45DC-8438-A3C87B56C9DB.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 36
  • C333CD14-82B1-409D-87FD-2019546A0F08.jpg
    C333CD14-82B1-409D-87FD-2019546A0F08.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 33

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well isn't that just perfect! I've never seen a 3G connector with just Black wires before. Bummer and of course I never bothered to remember the positions of the wires because I could just go by the color.

I'll get out in a few and take a shot of a factory 3-wire plug and let you know. I have a 4G and it does not use the White w/black stator wire if I remember correctly.
And the picture of the connector in your Painless instructions is for the original external regulator. In a pinch you really only "need" your Green w/red wire from that connector. You can get away with using a different sensing source than the original Yellow wire and you never use the Orange wire because it's for a connection between an external regulator and externally regulated alternator like original.

Hopefully someone sees this soon that remembers the positioning.
If not, back in a bit...

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahh, I see looking at your pic again that this is an Explorer alternator. Correct?
If so this is actually a 4G just so you know. So yours will be just like the one in my picture.
In this case your wires are oriented like this:

IMG_8602sm.jpg

1. The upper wire (the "black" one ;)%) ) is the Yellow w/white wire that is your battery sensing wire. It can be attached to your alternator's output post with the heavy gauge cable, or tied into the Painless wire of the same color (or just yellow maybe?) from the original voltage regulator harness next to your Green w/red wire.

2. The center wire is not used.

3. Bottom wire in your pic (the "black" one;) ) is the Green w/red wire that gets power only when the key is ON. This would be the same Green w/red wire in your Painless harness.

The center wire would have been the White w/black stator wire. This is unused in your case so can be capped off safely (shrink tubing is good) so it won't cause any trouble later.

Hope that helps.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Thanks Paul. I thought it was a 3g and don't know the difference between the 3g and 4g.

The plug “claws” on your plug show on the left and mine are on the right, would that reverse the top and bottom orientation of the color of wire order you list in your message?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
3G and 4G alts use the same Regulator plug.

Typically, there is no stator wire on the 4G, but it may be on a 3G depending on where you sourced it from.

Attachments

• Alt Plug 2.jpg
    Alt Plug 2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 29