• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

37" Goodyears

wgamble

Loc.
Bossier City
Is anyone on here that runs the 37" military tires? I see where I can buy 16.5" wheels for around $70 a piece and can get the tires fairly cheap. Just wanted to know if anyone else has any experience running these on the highway?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
This is not personal experience, but when I was looking at these for a full size truck I was thinking about buying, the general opinion seemed to be that they were better highway tires than off-road tires.

The rubber seems to be a harder compound than regular tires of the same type.
I think they would be very stiff and heavy on a Bronco.

You will need to have the wheels re-centered too, they are eight lug on 6.5 and seven inch backspace.

Thebeas

Loc.
Camden, SC
I drive these tires regularly on the HMMWV's at work. They work great in most off-road conditions with moderate hwy noise. You didn't say your wheel bolt pattern. If you're running 5x5.5, 16.5's are tough to find. MRW out of AR will make you a set, I just called them. Also,yes the HMMWV wheels are 8x6.5! Good luck, bro!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I should have said in my first post; the only reason I looked at these was the HMMWV wheels are double beadlocks.

To dump those and use regular 16.5 wheels would be a real step down, since regular 16.5 wheels are not even safety bead.

Toddpole

Contributor
I run 37-12.50-16.5 Goodyear MT/Rs on my Bronco. I don't drive on the road so I can't speak for that but they are great in the rocks. I regularly wheel K2 (Katemcy) and Superlift ORP at Hot Springs, AR. They ride good on trail and ranch roads and grip granite very well.

Thebeas

Loc.
Camden, SC
I should have said in my first post; the only reason I looked at these was the HMMWV wheels are double beadlocks.

To dump those and use regular 16.5 wheels would be a real step down, since regular 16.5 wheels are not even safety bead.

Gotcha! You'll run into trouble balancing for the hwy. if the grease packs are in them for the run flats... That's another story.

OP
OP
wgamble

wgamble

Loc.
Bossier City
I guess i didn't ask my question very well. I was asking about just the tires and if anyone had any experience with them on the highway. I can purchase non beadlock wheels to use on the highway. My wheeling days due to my brokedown ass body has come to an end.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I guess i didn't ask my question very well. I was asking about just the tires and if anyone had any experience with them on the highway. I can purchase non beadlock wheels to use on the highway. My wheeling days due to my brokedown ass body has come to an end.

Without the beadlocks they are non-safety bead wheels = not a very safe choice.
That leaves them as:
Very heavy (they make special spare tire carriers that lower and lift the spare).
Way too high load range (each tire is rated for the weight of a whole Bronco).
Prone to coming off the wheel.

But cheap.
Not very safe for you or those on the road with or around you.
But cheap.

69svt

Loc.
the 908
I've been running hummer tires for 3 years with no issues, they are great in mud, snow, sand, rocks and on the highway. I recentered 24 bolt hummer wheels used a pvc pipe insert for the bead lock and balanced them w/ 32oz of airsoft pellets. They run smooth w/ no shakes up to almost 100mph. I run them at 30psi. As far as the grease packs used for the run flats it took me an hour to clean 5 wheels. Remove all the excess grease with rags then scrub the tire with dawn dish soap and warm water they come out good as new.
As far as the 16.5 debate if you are using 1 piece wheels just for the street you are fine. How many truck have been running 16.5s on the road for years with no issues. Trucks came from the factory with 16.5s w/o beadlocks. The only issue is if you air down the lack of safety lip makes it easier for the tire to roll off the bead. (Just my 2¢)

69svt

Loc.
the 908
3ee975c72c6785e089f76432bccfd9e8_zps3e47a5b0.jpg

OP
OP
wgamble

wgamble

Loc.
Bossier City
I have a guy who is giving me a set of wheels and tires. Now I just need to get the adapters or pony up and get someone to weld in new centers for me.

69svt

Loc.
the 908
I had the front plates the old lug pattern cut out by a local water jet shop, bought the pressed centers from a guy on pirate and welded them myself w/ a freinds 220 miller. It wasn't hard you just have to take you time and do a lot of small stich welds so you don't distort the wheel with the heat. Good luck let me know if you have any more questions.