• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W timing cover/water pump studs/bolts your take, advice, opinions

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My 351W build is coming along. 1996 van block punched .020, crank is in, pistons are in, cam is in, timing set installed. I'm now on to the timing cover and water pump which means I'm dealing with all the broken bolts and studs. 2 studs broke and one bolt.

As you look at the water pump bolt holes (with pump held up to the engine), starting at the lower left and counting clockwise, #2 (stud), #3 (bolt) and #6(stud) broke during removal.

I bought an ARP bolt kit and it has nothing useful. I also bought the Dorman/Help! water pump stud set #23744 which out of the 3 studs/bolts I needed the kit had one stud that would work, #2(stud).

#3(bolt) is easy, Lowes or HD, Tractor Supply or Ace should have what I need.

Which brings me to #6(stud). illustrated in the photo below. Which I can only fine at the Ford dealer for $22.18 each. It's the stud sticking through the A/C compressor and PS pump bracket in the 3 o'clock position on the water pump. My question is, what does that stud do? What is it's function? As far as I can tell, it does nothing but maybe "locate" the accessory bracket during install. Is there any reason I can't enlarge the hole in the bracket the stud is sticking through and use a standard bolt? Note this is a borrowed photo not of my setup.
IMG_20130425_175849_zps5fd9e33d.jpg

Tim

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - those should be laying around all over the place.

I don't know what it is with people breaking these bolts - I've done probably 10 water pumps and all sorts of rebuilds and never once broke one of these bolts... and I'm in the rust belt!

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I don't know what it is with people breaking these bolts - I've done probably 10 water pumps and all sorts of rebuilds and never once broke one of these bolts... and I'm in the rust belt!

The corrosion was so bad in the timing cover holes the bolts/studs were locked in place with oxidation. It took me hours to get them all out of the timing cover after they broke off only to find during cleanup the timing cover had a crack in it. I got lucky they were not stuck in the block.

If that stud does nothing but locate the accessory bracket I was going to use a standard bolt and just enlarge the hole on the bracket.

Tim

BroncoSnake

Latemodelrestoration.com has a bolt/stud kit for the front cover and water pump if its like the mustang.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
i would guess that there is a spacer or washer behind the bracket? would be hard to hold it in place while inserting the bolt?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Definitely looks like it is just a locating stud. Once it is bolted on with the other bolts, as long as there is no spacer(could be made up with a washer or two) needed between the bracket and water pump I see no reason a standard bolt couldn't be used. Was there a nut on it from the factory? It may just be a stud for the sake of a wire loom clip. Most of the studs on my Explorer donor engine are only studs for the sake of the wiring harness clips.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
It's just a stud, no threads, no washers behind it, nothing attached to the stud in the front. I think I'll have to clearance the bracket to clear a standard bolt head as the head on the bolt if thicker than the stud head if you will.

Tim