• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w explorer serp, which timing chain cover?

stevenson44

351w or 302 timing chain cover? Will the explorer serp work with the 351w timing chain cover? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Explorer timing chain cover is needed. Fits 351W or 302. Needed to fit the explorer serp.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Explorer water pump will only fit the Explorer timing chain. Therefore you can only use the Explorer timing chain cover regardless of engine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And assuming you're using the EFI too. But if not, you will no longer be able to fit a mechanical fuel pump. Must run an electric (or whatever alternative to an engine-mounted pump you desire) even for the carburetors.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Also you need to use either a rebalanced explorer crankshaft balancer or use the Driven Auto pulley on your existing balancer. Did you checkout the tech article on the swap?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

stevenson44

I ordered a timing set from comp along with a new cam...that timing set may not work with the explorer cover, right?

frdboy

Contributor
Timing chain set should be fine, you won't be able to use the fuel pump eccentric under the bolt though...make sure you use the right dowel in the cam. If it is a dbl. roller set make sure you check the clearance between the chain and the block.

OP
OP
S

stevenson44

It is a double. Use the dowel from the original cam or the new dowel?

frdboy

Contributor
Just make sure it is flush or just under the timing gear.....most the time they come with a long and short one. You don't want it above the surface of the timing gear as the bolt/washer will tighten on the dowel and not the gear.