• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W time

73BRO

going to put 351W in my wheelin Bronco.
anyone know of a place for a good performance crate motor or just rebuild
my core ?
I see a few places out there for crates but don't know anything about them.
Ford racing just has stroker motors now days. as fun as that would be ,I don't need to go that crazy.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I would (and did) build my own.

I suggest either rebuilding your core or buying a short block. That way you can get the heads you want and pick a cam that put the HP and more importantly the torque curve where you needed it for wheeling.

Not bashing crate engines. In fact, was looking to buy a crate (short block) at one time during my build. My issue with them would be around the HP and torque numbers they provide. Most if not all of them are built with high RPM's in mind so the power band is not where the Bronco needs it to be. JMO

I used a 96 roller block, Comp 35-349-8/XE264HR, GT40P heads, and GT40 upper and lower intakes. Running SN95 EFI

I'm very happy with this combo now that I got the bugs out......

Tim

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Location? Knowing where you are might get a referral to a good local shop. I prefer getting rebuilt locally. Gets you more bang for your buck as long as it's a good shop.

OP
OP

73BRO

Twin Cities mn
I have a good shop in mind,kind of feeling out options.
My other Bronco is a 351 also.built about 15 years ago.
Stock heads, nice cam, perfomer plus intake.worked okay but would like more power this time.
Thanks for the input

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
all of the good rebuilders in this area went out of business a long time ago or are only interested in building race engines.

Same here. I believe alot of them either got on up in the yrs or passed away. I knew three(old school builders) that passed away last July within a week of each other.

OP
OP

73BRO

looks like I`m going to rebuild one.
351w from 92 f350.i did this before with an older 351w (1973) on a different bronco
does anyone know if the older timing covers are interchangeable ?
I know about the oil pan and ps and alt brackets.
anything else I need to change over

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
All the timing covers will bolt on, even the explorer cover.