• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 w roller mods

broncobeater

Loc.
Hesperia
Hello to all, thinking of changing my 351 w over to roller cam. Can someone help me with what exactly is different that needs to be addressed. Specifically
having to do with the timing set, push rods, and lifters/retainers needed. I currently have iron heads but they have been machined with 1.94" int 1.60" valves and 7/16's studs with adjustable 1.6 ratio rockers. Appreciate any help. Darrell

latrucker

Contributor
Just converted mine over to roller cam with a non-roller block. All you need is a set of link bar roller lifters. Then you'll need to measure for the correct pushrod length because 9 out of 10 times your old ones from the flat tappet won't be the correct length with the new lifters. Purchase the roller cam of your choice and your ready to run. If you have a roller block already then use regular roller lifters with the bolt down spiders instead of link bar lifters.

OP
OP
broncobeater

broncobeater

Loc.
Hesperia
Just converted mine over to roller cam with a non-roller block. All you need is a set of link bar roller lifters. Then you'll need to measure for the correct pushrod length because 9 out of 10 times your old ones from the flat tappet won't be the correct length with the new lifters. Purchase the roller cam of your choice and your ready to run. If you have a roller block already then use regular roller lifters with the bolt down spiders instead of link bar lifters.

What about timing chain and gears? Also what distributor gear do I run with that?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Chain and gears do not change for roller.
Check with the cam supplier, but generally (not always as I learned the hard way) you need to change the gear or distributor for a steel gear. I once got an Isky roller cam but it needed the cast gear and not the steel gear that I used. Details in the fine print.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Find the cam grind you want to run. Most any of the cam manufacturers will have retrofit (link bar) lifters to make it work. Call the manufacturer (not the retailer, you want the guys that make the parts not the ones selling them) and talk with the tech department. That will fill in a lot of details.

The small base circle cams can generally be avoided. They come in handy when trying to run OEM style roller lifters (dog bones not link bars) in a non-roller block. But the grinds are limited.

OP
OP
broncobeater

broncobeater

Loc.
Hesperia
Thank you much for the advice. Gonna go with a little more cam than I was previously running, but nothing too big. rpm range of about 1,600 to 5,800. I drive it like I stole it anyway, so should be fun. Thanks again.
PS: Whats the best way to measure push rod length? Running roller rockers and 5/16" hardened push rods.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pushrod gauge tool. I have one that is marked the range. Each turn is 0.100". So you play with the pushrod and the rocker arm adjustments so the rocker arm spends as much as possible centered over the center of the valve tip. Pull out the pushrod, count the turns and add that to the base dimension, order up pushrods.

I used Comp Cams Hi-tech Checking Pushrod.

OP
OP
broncobeater

broncobeater

Loc.
Hesperia
Thankyou gentlemen. Ordered Comp cam, comp double roller timing set, roller rockers, a new MSD distributor and new MSD plug wires and gaskets.