• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 swap question???

broncobeater

Loc.
Hesperia
Looking for yalls expert opinion. I'm swapping in a early 351 windsor into my 77 bronco. Was curious if an oil pan can be swapped out while the motor is still installed? Reason being is I thought I planned far enough ahead by purchasing a new pan on Jan 24th.I scheduled time off for the install and now find out my pan is just shipping out from Florida. Wanting to install motor then swap pan if possible in a couple weeks. Thanks for any input on this topic. Darrell

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Looking for yalls expert opinion. I'm swapping in a early 351 windsor into my 77 bronco. Was curious if an oil pan can be swapped out while the motor is still installed? Reason being is I thought I planned far enough ahead by purchasing a new pan on Jan 24th.I scheduled time off for the install and now find out my pan is just shipping out from Florida. Wanting to install motor then swap pan if possible in a couple weeks. Thanks for any input on this topic. Darrell

I did it once. Not sure If I had to loosen the motor mounts up or not but I definitely did it with the motor (351W) still in the eb.
It was 20+ years ago sooooo the details are sketchy.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I've did it a couple times but I have a 2.5 sup. lift . I took the track bar off and jacked up the front of the frame/bumper til the pan would clear the differential housing.

70_Steve

Old Guy
What half cab said!^^^

Take off the track bar and jack up the front until you get enough clearance. If you're swapping to a rear sump pan, the front sump pan may come out pretty easy, but it'a a bit of a juggling act to get the rear sump pan in place.

Don't forget the one piece oil pan gasket!

Dfroman

When I changed my oil pan gasket, I jacked the bronco pretty high and put 12 ton jack stands under the front from frame rails and bumper (it's a solid protofab). And let the suspension droop enough with the floor jack to clear everything. (If you don't have extended brake lines be careful)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Like they said it can be done. I've done it a couple times but given the choice I would do it on the stand to insure it seals good.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After going through this install by myself, I think I'd rather pull the front axle out than remove the engine, to get the oil pan in/out.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I had to pull my oil pan a few years ago and with the 3 1/2" suspension lift the pan just dropped down and slid back and came right out and installed easily in reverse order.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I've done it on a 302, and it wasn't easy, dunno on a 351. I unbolted the engine mounts and raised the engine as much as I could and it was a pain, tight quarters, hard to seal, etc!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
The hard part on mine was the pan that was stock to the 351W from a 70's econoline was a front sump pan and that's what made it very difficult!

OP
OP
broncobeater

broncobeater

Loc.
Hesperia
Thanks for all the replies. Taking out a dual sump and putting in the same thing just new and hopefully not leaking. Got the one piece pan gasket and also have a lift for working on it and letting the suspension hang. I think I'll go for it and let yall know how it goes. Thanks again, Darrell