• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 on the tree with 2.5 inch suspension lift

Fastle00

I was wondering if it was possible to keep my 3 on the tree and get a 2.5 inch suspension lift with no problems? and if there are problems what would I have to possibly fix/tune to get everything where it belongs?

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
No issues with my column shift at all with the suspension lift. Body lift I had to adjust clutch rod and shift linkage which is simple but you say your only doing a suspension lift so I really can't think of anything that's affected.

Some have issues with steering geometry. When I installed my 2 1/2 lift, I went ahead and added a drop pitman arm, drop trackbar bracket and 7* C-bushings. My truck handles great!

OP
OP
Fastle00

Fastle00

No issues with my column shift at all with the suspension lift. Body lift I had to adjust clutch rod and shift linkage which is simple but you say your only doing a suspension lift so I really can't think of anything that's affected.

Some have issues with steering geometry. When I installed my 2 1/2 lift, I went ahead and added a drop pitman arm, drop trackbar bracket and 7* C-bushings. My truck handles great!
Thank you! Still up in the air if I want to put the 2.5 inch suspension lift on

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What m_m said. Suspension changes have no bearing on how your clutch and transmission function.
The larger tires you might try to fit will certainly have a bearing on how happy you are with the gear ratios of your stock transmission. But it will still act the same before, and after a suspension lift.

OP
OP
Fastle00

Fastle00

What m_m said. Suspension changes have no bearing on how your clutch and transmission function.
The larger tires you might try to fit will certainly have a bearing on how happy you are with the gear ratios of your stock transmission. But it will still act the same before, and after a suspension lift.
If i get the lift I plan on putting some 31in all terrains on it. Might need to change the gearing a little.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
do you know what the rear/front end gearing is?? 31" not that big a jump but can make things seem a bit doggish with 3.50 gears which I believe the majority of Broncos came with. My truck came with 4.11 (another option not as common as the 3.50) gearing and I run 33" tires and pretty happy with that. Some I think some Broncos came with 4.56 gearing but that would have only been optioned on the six cylinder.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't need a lift for 31s. You can do one, but that small of a tire doesn't require one.
Suspension lift does nothing regarding the shift linkage. Only a body lift will cause issues with column shift linkage (and clutch linkage, fan shroud, and a few other things).
If you are running 3.50 gears (standard gearing for V8 if the optional gearing option box was not checked when it was ordered) then 31s are as big as I would go. It can be a bit doggy with 31s. You may or may not notice it, mostly depending on what size you are starting with now.

OP
OP
Fastle00

Fastle00

do you know what the rear/front end gearing is?? 31" not that big a jump but can make things seem a bit doggish with 3.50 gears which I believe the majority of Broncos came with. My truck came with 4.11 (another option not as common as the 3.50) gearing and I run 33" tires and pretty happy with that. Some I think some Broncos came with 4.56 gearing but that would have only been optioned on the six cylinder.
Mine have the 3.50 gears, do you think I should jump up to 4.11 with 31in tires?

OP
OP
Fastle00

Fastle00

I was planning on getting some 31x10.5 BFGoodrich All-terrian

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Mine have the 3.50 gears, do you think I should jump up to 4.11 with 31in tires?
I would get the tires first and try it out and see if you like it. Changing gears can get pricey mainly due to the fact both front end and rear end need to be replaced. If you are doing the work yourself it's not bad.

Also, what's your intended use for your truck??

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
If you have a V8 3.50 gears and 31s you will be fine. Unless you are rock crawling, or drag racing then you want lower gears.

I ran 3.50 gears with 33s and a 3 speed for years on the street and off road and never had issues. Sure it wasnt the fastest bronco but it did everything I wanted it to do.

OP
OP
Fastle00

Fastle00

If you have a V8 3.50 gears and 31s you will be fine. Unless you are rock crawling, or drag racing then you want lower gears.

I ran 3.50 gears with 33s and a 3 speed for years on the street and off road and never had issues. Sure it wasnt the fastest bronco but it did everything I wanted it to do.
It has a 302 in it and I want to get the 31in tires. I treat it like a pavement princess and take her weekend cruising. So I might still get the 4.11 gears.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I treat it like a pavement princess and take her weekend cruising.
Your 302 with 31 inch tires and 3.5 gearing will be fine for this.

It doesn't hurt anything to put the 31's on and keep the gearing you have to see if you like it. You may enjoy the lower rpm's at freeway speeds with the larger dia. tires.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
It has a 302 in it and I want to get the 31in tires. I treat it like a pavement princess and take her weekend cruising. So I might still get the 4.11 gears.
Keep the 3.50 gears. Like m_m70 said it will keep your RPM down at highway speed especially since you are only using the factory 3 speed. If it was an over drive transmission then its a completely different story.