• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 1/2" WildHorse VS JamesDuff w/4BT

krause

Ok so im sure this has been gone over before but I think my circumstances are a lil different, and I am well aware of both companys contributing to this forum but they are both high quality I cant decide.

So heres to scoop. I have a 76 that im doing a cummins 4BT swap in with a dodge nv4500 and a ford np205 tcase. Im going to do a 3 1/2" shock loop lift and want to ride as nice as possible 90% going to be street use with ocasional beach and light trail. The entry level kit in either company no extreme or anything i dont want a body lift. Both kits are similarly priced and similar in design the main differences I saw were James duff comes with dual rear shocks and their loops are powdercoated. Not a big deal to me because ill paint/powder coat what I need. And wild horse suggested I do a drop pitman arm and that i might want to use 4 1/2" coils in front to make up for the extra weight of drivetrain. Do I need dual rear shocks? Do I need a drop pit arm? should I go for the 4 1/2 coils up front?

Which kit should I get!? Thanks for any input!

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Not sure you NEED duel rears, but they look way cool. I put duels on mine, then went to change out the shock boots to blue, to match blue, and well I sheered off one of the anchor pins at the top. (will post pic's soon) So for a month, till this last week, I drove around with 1 shock on the left rear and 2 on the right rear. Didn't feel a difference.

Glad its fixed though.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
For the front springs move up to the 5.5". We have been involved in a few 4BT conversions (from the suspension stand point) and that is what ultimately worked best.

Jim

OP
OP
K

krause

I was more concerned with the dual rears making the ride stiffer. But the dual rears can be added tovthe WH system. I guess the only things are WH suggested inch taller coils.. .... Wild horse or James duff??!!

PaveBronco

WH.
Sounds like they know exactly what you need and you could have the parts ordered today. Duals are over rated...may be needed on your front though..

jhill52

Both companies are fine venders and I have bought from both but in this case it sounds like Wildhorses has experience with what you are doing.For street use I don't think you need duals on the rear. I would suggest the taller springs and dual shocks on the front.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Dual shocks on the front yes. Rear you are correct based off most opinions dual rear shocks create a rough ride. Oh course I am basing this off our system and shocks. I hear of a lot of guys running the single bilstens on the front. I know with our shock dual on the front is the way to go.

OP
OP
K

krause

For the front springs move up to the 5.5". We have been involved in a few 4BT conversions (from the suspension stand point) and that is what ultimately worked best.

Jim

So your saying go up 2" up front to the 5.5s instead of just 1 up to the 4.5s. I just don't was a nose high level. Might be best to speak over phone about this.

Dbteak

I went with a 2 1/2" lift both front and rear and it does not sag in the front because of the 4bt. Even with a 4 1/2" lift you still will have to clearance the oil pan. I have a 2" body lift and I probably could have used my stock hood if I got creative with intercooler piping.
bronco_zps67997ae8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I see no need for the 2 shocks in the rears .. But I used 3.5 spring up front of my 4BT and I have 1 inch lift on top of my stock pucks. I do have 2 inch blocks in the rear. of mine.
... After my swap was finished ..aka.. about a year later. It seemed to me that a lot of the myths. about weight.. Vibrations..Weight distribution, were just that Myths ...
.. My 4BT is just not front heavy and it does not vibrate. I have managed to shut my hood over the BT.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
We have done 2 4BTs both set level, one 3.5" with winch coils, the other one 4.5" with winch coils. Maybe WH is using progressive coils? I don't use duel shocks on anything except racers.
Dbteak, nice truck

OP
OP
K

krause

We have done 2 4BTs both set level, one 3.5" with winch coils, the other one 4.5" with winch coils. Maybe WH is using progressive coils? I don't use duel shocks on anything except racers.
Dbteak, nice truck

What brand lift are you using. And when you say "winch coils" im assuming that is a heavier duty coil. Sorry im still new to the EB world

OP
OP
K

krause

To the top... What I would like to hear is more people that did the swap and see what you guys did. I think there's more of them out there than you think!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Sorry for the very late reply. I was talking about my coils. The "wench" adds 1/2" to the lift without the wench i.e. the 3.5" coils will lift a EB 3.5" the 3.5" with wench coils will lift the EB 4" without a wench. I figure on the wench and bumper weighing around 150 lbs.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to run BCB's 5.5" non winch coils. Bronco dropped about an inch when I put my motor in. BCB's coils are soft which is great for offroad and why I went with them. It really depends on the coil. I'd bet if you use superlift/skyjacker coils, they wouldn't budge at all. WH already suggest the height. Call duff and ask what their coil rate is.

Eugene