• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1984 5.7 h.o.

azslim

Loc.
Wilhoit,Az.
I just picked up a '84 F-150 (Canadian) w/5.7 H.O. 4V engine and was wondering if this would be pretty much a bolt-in swap in my '66 Bronco. Thanks.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
So is it a stroked 302 to 347 i.e 5.7L or is it a 351W i.e 5.8L ? Or is Canada different?

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It is 5.8 not 5.7
Nothing but a plain jane 351W with a factory 4-barrel instead of the standard 2-barrel.

In 1984 standards were really low, an HO designation doesn't mean much. Worth maybe $5 more than a regular 351 of that vintage. The good thing is it should be a 1-piece rear main seal, that started in mid '83.

As for swapping it into a '66, depends on if you have the I6 or the V8 to start with. V8 it is a pretty simple swap. I6 it is pretty much the same amount of work as any other V8 (welding in new frame towers for the V8 motor mounts and such)

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Finishing up stuffing a 96 vintage 5.8L in my 74.

1 inch of body lift or more really helps but it can be done with no lift. Headers can be an issue with the clutch linkage. Oil pan can be an issue and depending on what carb and cleaner you plan to run, hood clearance can also be a problem. If sticking with the card, the stock linkage will need tweaking.

Tim

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
I have a 1985ish 351W HO 4 barrel engine in my Bronco installed by the previous owner. Stock oil pan appears to work fine, no body lift, approximately 3 1/2" suspension lift. There was throttle linkage clearance issues that contributed to a stuck throttle issue. I changed to a BC Broncos cable linkage soon after!