• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 bronco brakes

Chaser1970

Posting this as an inquiry about brake size and driveline length, I just purchased a 72 bronco seems to be drum brake all around, I wanna rebuild the brakes, can anyone tell me what size they were? Also wondering correct driveline length, I’m missing rear main driveline. Thank you!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If the front brakes need a full rebuild I would look into going disc. For the driveline the length will depend on if you have a lift. I believe wh has instructions to measure correct length on their website. While you're at it check to see which upper yoke you have. Another good option is go to a reputable driveline shop in your area and they should know exactly what you need. If you post a location you might get some local references.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Disc brakes on the front if your finances allow. Had a ‘72 that was 4-wheel drums. I found that even with fresh front brakes, a panic stop at any speed over 40 gave me a serious cas of anxiety.

Randy

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Disc brakes on the front if your finances allow. Had a ‘72 that was 4-wheel drums. I found that even with fresh front brakes, a panic stop at any speed over 40 gave me a serious cas of anxiety.

Randy
Iff you're willing to hit the boneyard front disccan be found for a reasonable price..

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Iff you're willing to hit the boneyard front disccan be found for a reasonable price..
And as a bonus for better brakes, at a minimum get a vacuum booster or if money is not a limiting factor, go hydro boost. There are multiple threads on the forum that tell of different hydro boost systems that are accessible in a pull-a-part yard. There are also ‘how to’ threads on the installation.

Randy

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Posting this as an inquiry about brake size and driveline length, I just purchased a 72 bronco seems to be drum brake all around, I wanna rebuild the brakes, can anyone tell me what size they were? Also wondering correct driveline length, I’m missing rear main driveline. Thank you!
No, no one can tell you that without more information.

The front brakes are 11 x 2.
The rear brakes are either 10 x 2.5, if small bearing 2780 axle.
or 11 x 1-3/4 if big bearing 3300 axle.

The bearing size can be determined by the rear axle GVWR which can be de-coded based the glovebox warranty plate. The axle is either 2780 lbs, or 3300 lbs.
You can also tell the axle capacity by looking at the housing end from underneath the Bronco. I can tell by eye, without measuring. But you will want to measure or post pics.

You will hear a LOT about brake improvement, upgrades, changeovers, swaps, etc. But it is all nonsense. 4 wheel manual drum brakes have been more than adequate to stop motor vehicles for over 100 years now. And the brakes on your Bronco are more than adequate to stop it at freeway speeds. (once!)

Can they be improved? Yes. No they need to be improved? Maybe. Do people make money based on the falsehood that they MUST be improved? Read my sig line, and judge for yourself. My 67 U13 Military stops just fine with its factory drum brakes. My 69 U15 Wagon also stops just fine with 4 wheel discs and hydroboost.

For the rear driveline, do your own investigation, and do your own shopping. Then go measure the length, consult with @DirtDonk and then buy a brand new driveshaft from Wild Horses 4x4 in Lodi, CA.