• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 2wd Truck C4 into EB?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I have a running, good condition c4 out of a ‘70 F100. The main housing p/n is the same as the 4wd bronco c4.

Any idea what I need to swap to make this work with a D20 for use in my other bronco?

IMG_0805.jpeg IMG_0803.jpeg IMG_0801.jpeg

Is it as easy as just swapping the current tail shaft for the correct intermediate housing to mate up to my D20? Or is it more complicated!

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about the shift shaft orientation?
Are they the same between 2 Wheel Drive trucks and the Broncos? Is it just a passenger cars, or perhaps vehicles with console shifters that makes a difference?
I don’t know details of course, I just seem to remember some members here having to go back in and flip their shift rods around when they rebuild and put them in backwards/upside down.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What about the shift shaft orientation?
Are they the same between 2 Wheel Drive trucks and the Broncos? Is it just a passenger cars, or perhaps vehicles with console shifters that makes a difference?
I don’t know details of course, I just seem to remember some members here having to go back in and flip their shift rods around when they rebuild and put them in backwards/upside down.
That will also depend on if trying to run an original column shifter or an aftermarket floor shifter.

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I’m planning to run a Lokar floor sifter. Hoping that makes life a bit easier…at least with the shift linkage.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I’m planning to run a Lokar floor sifter. Hoping that makes life a bit easier…at least with the shift linkage.
I found the Lokar shifter to be ... well junk. It had a rod - there is not a lot of rom to fit a straight rod in and around the T case. I did not but it had a bend and that rod is not very strong so it would flex at the bend. It worked just felt like crap quality. Then you lose your backup lights because the Lokar replaced the switch on the transmission. Then you have to wire this hokey neutral safety switch to the transmission. After being disgusted by it for a year or so I used a van column and it works a lot nicer and all my stuff works.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I found the Lokar shifter to be ... well junk. It had a rod - there is not a lot of rom to fit a straight rod in and around the T case. I did not but it had a bend and that rod is not very strong so it would flex at the bend. It worked just felt like crap quality. Then you lose your backup lights because the Lokar replaced the switch on the transmission. Then you have to wire this hokey neutral safety switch to the transmission. After being disgusted by it for a year or so I used a van column and it works a lot nicer and all my stuff works.
That is why I made my Lokar a cable shift. Before Lokar offered a cable shift option.
Thankfully the NSS/reverse switch on the 4R70W is not deleted when going Lokar.

If you thought the Lokar NSS setup is Hokey, the factory NSS on my '77 F250 (C6 trans) was as sketchy as you could ask for.