• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969-texas-license-plate

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what ca plates do you have. blue and yellow wouldnt mind a set

pbking

I've been looking into this too. You can use Year of Manufacture (YoM) plates in TX on vehicles over 25 years old, the catch is the plate must agree with the registration (ie, if it is registered as a truck, it must be truck plates, and vice versa for passenger cars).
The plate number in question also must be available for use in the TX DoT system, I use myplates.com to check.

Hope this helps!

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> other catch for registering old plates in Texas.... you need a good pair of plates not just one.... EDIT>> use/print form VTR-850 from following link http://www.txdmv.gov/forms... friend just recently did this process with his '67 chevelle.... he went to the tax office with that form filled out along with plates & had them registered easily.... also>> old same year plates can be repainted ,but must stay the original color scheme....

Last edited:

bigjhoov

nobody
You need two plates in good shape. Be sure you inform them you want to use the year of make plates when you register.

Classic registration - over 25 years old, annual registration and inspection, no usage restrictions.

Antique registration - over 25 years old, 5 year registration, no annual inspection, usage restrictions. It cannot be a daily driver.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Old plates are not good for Antique registration. You have to have issued antiques plates. Strange part is you only get 1 antique plate - none needed for the front!

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Old plates are not good for Antique registration. You have to have issued antiques plates. Strange part is you only get 1 antique plate - none needed for the front!

>>> exactly.... that VTR-850 form I mentioned above is the application for classic plates, which allows old plates to be used also... I drive mine way too much for that antique plates BS..... for those considering antique plates, remember it's not the ticket from police you should worry about.... it's the insurance companies crawling up your rear end to find out exactly where & what you were doing during a accident.... I only use liability insurance.... it's other vehicles & medical expenses that I'm more worried about.... it could be all on your shoulders if a insurance company denies a claim.....

bigjhoov

nobody

That's not correct. I currently have YOM plates and antique registration, and have had the same on every bronco I've had.

Under VTR-54 from the link above.......

If using “old” Texas plates, the plates must be examined at your local county tax assessor-collector's office before
submitting this application. To be approved, the Texas plates must be the same year as the year model of the antique
vehicle, with the correct color scheme, and be in good readable condition. Qualifying license plates, such as Farm,
Dealer, etc., or plates with an alpha numeric pattern that is already in use, may not be used. Replicas of Texas license
plates are not acceptable. If approved, a plate tab with sticker will be issued to show valid registration.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> still not smart or fair for most to register as a antique... lots going that route don't have parade show club only garage queen vehicles..... they are people cheating the system to save money on registration/inspection fees & probably insurance too since the true use of the vehicle is not represented.... wait till there is some big claim from accident and insurance investigators did deep & deny..... if you don't abuse the system bigjhoov good for you & the above statement is not directed at you.....

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
That's not correct. I currently have YOM plates and antique registration, and have had the same on every bronco I've had.

I stand corrected. I thought I was told that at the County when I registered but I may have misunderstood what they said. I may look for some YOM plates then. I'm running antique plates on 2 Broncos and I'd rather have the old plates.

bigjhoov

nobody
I stand corrected. I thought I was told that at the County when I registered but I may have misunderstood what they said. I may look for some YOM plates then. I'm running antique plates on 2 Broncos and I'd rather have the old plates.

It's possible that you were told that. I've found that the information received at the tax/title office varies day to day and person to person quite a bit, lol.