• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Shop Manual

DrDanWWW

I am rebuilding a 200ci. I am thinking about buying a shop manual. Ford offered the Preliminary Manual and then online I see a complete Manual for Broncos, Falcons, etc. I only need the Bronco info. Question: is the Preliminary Bronco Manual's info exactly the same as the full manual? Or does "full" simply mean "it includes more models of cars?" 2nd Question: Can I use the Preliminary Manual to guide me on my engine rebuild?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never heard the term “preliminary” when talking about manuals before.
Interested in the answer.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, there is a lot of information in a Chiltons Manual for engine specs and procedures. Two very good books are Tom Monroe's How to Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines (a lot of tips and helpful info that applies to all engines) and Ford Inline Six by Matt Cox, who owns Vintageinlines.com. Also check out fordsix.com. Good luck

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
The Ford shop manuals are frequently divided into different books for different portions of the vehicles. Frequently similar vehicles might be covered in the same set. So engine might be one book & chassis another & so on. I think the set for my 73 covers Broncos, Econolines, & light trucks & is divided into 5 books for tge different segments. I've seen "pre-delivery" manuals & wondered if the term "preliminary" is a typo for that.

But while taking a quick look online for a 66 set, I found this:

"1966 Ford Bronco Preliminary Service Manual

$99.00
Original factory service manual used to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Use in conjunction with the 1966 For Econoline Service Manual for complete vehicle coverage."

https://diyrepairmanuals.com/produc...Cu8dmT5tp2_8oHg4mn9E9FMXVHTOtCL4aAljOEALw_wcB

That sounds like it was an add on to the Econoline manual to use with Broncos until their own manuals came out. It might be cool to own with a 66, especially if you could find the Econoline manual too. I wonder if a regular set from a later year might be easier to use.

Digging further I see Faxon has a CD with "1966 Ford Bronco Preliminary Shop Manual", the 425 page "1966 Ford Falcon Club Wagon Econoline and Recreational Vehicle Shop Manual", and the 567 page "1967 Ford Bronco Econoline and Recreational Vehicle Shop Manual". Maybe that's the set for 66, someone who knows them would need to answer that.

https://www.faxonautoliterature.com...oline-CD-Repair-Shop-Manual-Van-Club-Wagon-RV

So, no real answers from me, just some stuff to add to the cornfusion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DrDanWWW

DrDanWWW

El Kabong, you cover what I found online. Thanks. It's just that "preliminary" sounds like it doesn't cover everything. But maybe it does. I will probably just buy it and find out. (and btw, I don't even have a CD drive anymore!)

I have "The Handbook." It is the gospel of inline six. I have the new Matt Cox manual as well. What it makes up for on great photos and organization, it lacks on specific detail, which The Falcon Handbook has. In my opinion the best video is that good ol' youtube series from 2011-ish by Roy Permenter, Mustang 200 Rebuild. What I need from a shop manual are more details since I have never rebuilt an engine. That said, I am getting great help from my machinists and my mechanic (read $$$), and of course all of you. I guess when we lack experience we need something to make us feel confident we are NOT goofing the whole thing up. Heck, you only get about one good chance to rebuild an engine.

OP
OP
DrDanWWW

DrDanWWW

Hi, there is a lot of information in a Chiltons Manual for engine specs and procedures. Two very good books are Tom Monroe's How to Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines (a lot of tips and helpful info that applies to all engines) and Ford Inline Six by Matt Cox, who owns Vintageinlines.com. Also check out fordsix.com. Good luck
Thank you. I haven't run across Tom Monroe's book. I will look that up. Fordsix.com is great. Bubba is the guru. And he has helped me beyond measure. He's the one who should write the book!

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I picked up a Shop manual for mine 30 years ago. The guy threw in the '66 Preliminary for free.

He went around the PNW buying up manuals when dealerships went under and explained the preliminary manual was for the dealership (service dept) to have an idea what was coming down the line and some initial details. That is why there wasn't a preliminary for future years of the same model.

My shop manual covers the Bronco and the Econoline as a lot of the hardware was similar.

Attachments

• IMG_8739.jpg
    IMG_8739.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8740.jpg
    IMG_8740.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
DrDanWWW

DrDanWWW

Thank you. I haven't run across Tom Monroe's book. I will look that up. Fordsix.com is great. Bubba is the guru. And he has helped me beyond measure. He's the one who should write the book!
Wait a sec - I have Monroe's small block manual. I forgot. It's V8s. And that still very helpful.

OP
OP
DrDanWWW

DrDanWWW

I picked up a Shop manual for mine 30 years ago. The guy threw in the '66 Preliminary for free.

He went around the PNW buying up manuals when dealerships went under and explained the preliminary manual was for the dealership (service dept) to have an idea what was coming down the line and some initial details. That is why there wasn't a preliminary for future years of the same model.

My shop manual covers the Bronco and the Econoline as a lot of the hardware was similar.
So you you would recommend the full manual, the Bronco, Econoline manual?

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So you you would recommend the full manual, the Bronco, Econoline manual?
If you have access to the full manual I would go that route. I have a cheap Chilton's from the day but it has newer year Bronco stuff which dilutes the quality. The preliminary has nothing the full manual doesn't have and it is just an overview at that. This is my go to. Bought it for the wiring section as I was morphing my '71 into the '67 so I wanted the front park lights to stay on when the headlights came on and the electric wipers. Would have been virtually impossible in the world prior to the interweb.

OP
OP
DrDanWWW

DrDanWWW

If you have access to the full manual I would go that route. I have a cheap Chilton's from the day but it has newer year Bronco stuff which dilutes the quality. The preliminary has nothing the full manual doesn't have and it is just an overview at that. This is my go to. Bought it for the wiring section as I was morphing my '71 into the '67 so I wanted the front park lights to stay on when the headlights came on and the electric wipers. Would have been virtually impossible in the world prior to the interweb.
Thank you. That's what I needed to hear.