• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 A code engine: 240?

eou_edu

First of all I apologize if this has been talked about. After an hour of searching I thought I was would just post it. I was browsing http://www.broncohio.com/tech/ebvins.html and for 1966 only they have the two availible engines listed as 170 and 240? Is this just a typo? I have seriously considered swapping a 240/300 in to replace the tired 170. But it sounds like several have tried with lots of effort and regret.

bmbm

240 was not available, although the 300 should have been in my opinion.
You can find a 200, do some performance mods as seen here fordsix.com, but you are still limited by the transmission or find a 250 which allows use of sbf transmissions such as NV3550 but takes a bit more work. Nowhere near as much work as a 300.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Flawed reference material.

Standard 170. Late availability of the C-code 289 (standard 2-barrel version)

The A-code engine was never abailable in a Bronco. I know the mustangs it was a 289 4-barrel mid-level engine. More compression than the C-code but not as much as the K-code. There was one more 289, one year only as I recall. It was a 4-barrel but on the low compression engine.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
There was one more 289, one year only as I recall. It was a 4-barrel but on the low compression engine.

That would be a D code 289 only available in the 1964-1/2 cars. Those early cars didn't have a 289 2bbl option. The base V8 was a 260 Falcon engine (F code in the VIN). The 4bbl option was the D code which was a lower performing engine than the A code which was offered starting with the true 1965 cars.