• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 options

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Hey guys looking for option on my I believe to be OG 170ci my build is getting closer to completion with all the body/floor my mechanic quoted me $2500 to completely rebuild the 170. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around that kind of money for not much gain other than a rebuilt 170 that will prob last a very long time and never die! If I were to spend that type of coin I would prob just go against my desires of originality and find a V8. I understand a lot of Bronco enthusiasts would prefer the V8 even with a strong 6 in place. I’m just looking for advise and options anyone may have.

mebco09

Is that R&R also for $2500? That seems pretty cheap.

All things equal, to convert to v8, figure at least double that, unless you already have a 302 sitting around with all the conversion parts, mounts etc. Parts add up quickly.

If it's an OG 170, if it were me, I'd leave it that way.

bmbm

That is a very reasonable price to rebuild. If you wanted to preserve originality you could visit fordsix.com for information and parts to increase the power of your 170. Or like I did my original 170 is stored in my garage and found a 200 that looks the same as the 170 and dropped that in. The 200 performance can be increased. Finally I installed a 250 inline and a nv3550 which is enough power and gears for comfortable driving anywhere, freeways etc. The original motor mounts are still in place and the original 170 and trans could go back in.

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Is that R&R also for $2500? That seems pretty cheap.

All things equal, to convert to v8, figure at least double that, unless you already have a 302 sitting around with all the conversion parts, mounts etc. Parts add up quickly.

If it's an OG 170, if it were me, I'd leave it that way.
R&R?

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
I have never had an engine rebuilt so this is all new to me. As of right now we don’t know until he pulls the heads to “peek” inside the $2500 is worst case scenario of a complete overhaul.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
R&R - remove and replace as well as rebuild. If a 6 will do what you need(cruise around town) then I would keep my eyes open for a 200. Lots of early Mustangs, Falcons, Comets and other Fords came with the 200. When they get upgraded to a V8 this means a running 200 shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks & it will drop in your Bronco with no modifications. Unless you are going for a concourse restoration I wouldn't worry about the difference between having a 170 vs a 200.

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
R&R - remove and replace as well as rebuild. If a 6 will do what you need(cruise around town) then I would keep my eyes open for a 200. Lots of early Mustangs, Falcons, Comets and other Fords came with the 200. When they get upgraded to a V8 this means a running 200 shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks & it will drop in your Bronco with no modifications. Unless you are going for a concourse restoration I wouldn't worry about the difference between having a 170 vs a 200.
Ahh yes that’s included

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
When I bought it “the bronco” the engine ran decent no knocks or blow by that I could tell then again I only pulled it out and cranked it here and there to keep it circulating fluids. It was nowhere near road worthy without a floor and having to use an attic hook to shift from N to 1st. The rebuild is worst case scenario. My hopes were to just do minor engine work and let it ride.

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
I should have given specifics earlier! I apologize for that. It’s a 71’ LUBR and I don’t plan on any tire larger than a 31” original color boxwood green, but has been rattle canned red, yellow, and finally white! I’ll end up stripping the rattle paint to hopefully expose as much of the green as possible or see how the patina looks. It was converted to disc brakes by the PO. So far the floor has all been redone as well as the door jambs and rockers. It will be basically a cruiser and nothing more. I’m not interested in car shows or wheeling. I tend to appreciate how things were when they were new and leave the modifications to my old 7.3 Excursion

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Ya I agree on keeping it hopefully when he pulls the heads it’s just minor stuff. I know the 170 from all my research has been ragged on, but I just sold my CJ5 with a 232ci and it would barley get out of its own way so I’m somewhat used to/ok with that!

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
I do like the idea of dropping a 200 in it there are quite a few down here for sale in all conditions $200 for a pasture special all the way up to a complete driveline for $750

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the engine in the Bronco original? Ford started putting the 200 in in 1970 so your 71 should have a 200 - how many freeze plugs does it have? 3=170 5=200