• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 Cylinder Head Gasket

Double66

Contributor
I'm rebuilding my 170 and noticed the stock head gasket is a lot thinner than the velpro. According to classic inlines the head will need machined to make up for the difference to maintain the stock compression. The head gasket was replaced at one time with a victor gasket but unkown if the head was modified at the time. Has anyone ran into this issue or have any insight on a solution?

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The machine work to compensate going from the steel shim (thin) head gasket to the composite (think) head gasket is done to the head, not the block. So the deck height of the block should not have changed. It would be the head that would have been cut. So deck height measurement isn't going to work. About the only way to know is to cc the head and compare to published numbers of what the casting should have been.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as mentioned, cc a combustion chamber. Later heads had larger chambers, @62 cc. 170s came with a 53 cc chamber. Don't assume you have the original head. If you have the large chamber I would mill the head. If you have a small chamber I doubt you would notice a difference in power by milling the head. I would only mill a small chamber head to correct a warped surface. Visit fordsix.com to learn more about your engine.