• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

my full width build ***1 tons and dovetail**

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
my full width build*1 tons and dovetail*updates

Well, I started yesterday. Put the bronco on stands(need those taller ones from HF)Got the front axle,suspension,and steering all out the way. Should have the rear axle out tonight. I have a set of '77 front/rear axles from a F150. Plann to cut the rockers out in place of some slides. Got hydro boost to install...maybe hydro assist steering too.Caddy rear disc.

Will post pics later tonight.

Few questions : Dont like the radius arm bushings @ the frame(no flex) what does everone else run? I'm thing of going back to the stock rubber ones...now I have the polys. I have the longer radius arms from Bronco Bod(all for fun offroad-older version).

will the stock drag link/tie rod from the f150 work or will I have to do something else?? What about the track bar also? Thanks guys,Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
here's a few pics..:cool:
4x4_pics_945.jpg

4x4_pics_949.jpg

4x4_pics_951.jpg

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
here's the axles I picked up yesterday. They are stock w/3.50...gonna go with 4.56's
4x4_pics_954.jpg

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you've got the 76/77 Dana 44, it's got the inverted "Y" steering, so I wouldn't even bother with it. You'd be money ahead to fab up your own links and go with Chevy TRE's or spherical bearings IMO.

What's the plan on the axles themselves? Are you going to run them as is or warm them over a bit with lockers and high-dollar goodies? Have you decided on wheels and tires...you sticking with what you were running before?

Thread bookmarked as I've got my 1977 donor F150 in hand and just need to find the time and real estate to pull it off.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Looks like 76-77 F150's????
If so, count on ditching the long tube headers for some shorties. It's highly likley you'll have front driveline interference issues.
Those radius arm bushings look like they flex enough, your springs are below their mounts....
I type too slow.....
For tie rod, drag link and track bar, I just bought some DOM to cut and sleve my stock linkage for now. I'll run it like that untill I have the money for a nicer setup.
Heres a few links to what I did.....
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100785
Can't find the other but I can post some pics if there is something particular you want to see.

Last edited:

broncomania

Loc.
nc
lookin good. and yes , ditch that steering. if you need 78/79 style steering instead, i have it . located at 27317 in nc.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Looks like 76-77 F150's????
If so, count on ditching the long tube headers for some shorties. It's highly likley you'll have front driveline interference issues.
Those radius arm bushings look like they flex enough, your springs are below their mounts....
what you're seeing in that one pic...is the arm almost pulled out of thier mount and bushings. With the coils cut loose, the axle,coils, and arms stay right there like everything is still bolted up. With the coils out-the arms will support the axle in the air:mad: I think I need something softer for sure!!:cool: Chuck

I didn't even notice the y linkage until mentioned after I posted the pic today....good catch!Thanx

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
lookin good. and yes , ditch that steering. if you need 78/79 style steering instead, i have it . located at 27317 in nc.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I will end up using a set up from parts mike. I still wanna run hydro assist also.Chuck

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
4x4_pics_859.jpg

Hey bronko69er, this pic should explain my bent steering. I straightened it afterwards and bent it super easy again @ URE...the 1st was @ Gulches. I dont think I should mess with mine again;D Nice build on yours

What's the plan on the axles themselves? Are you going to run them as is or warm them over a bit with lockers and high-dollar goodies? Have you decided on wheels and tires...you sticking with what you were running before?Apogee
I have another FS 9" w/4.56 spool...I might use that(not pictured) and rob the 4.56 out of another D44 for a complete gear swap. I have 3.50 w/ detroit rear-welded front...guess I need to sell the rear carrier& detroit to buy one for the 31 splines. I'll probably weld the front again...cheaper than locker;D The rear axle will get caddy disc also...gotta find those weld on brackets soon.Have to run my wheels and 35"mt's for now.Later,Chuck

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Well, I started yesterday. Put the bronco on stands(need those taller ones from HF)Got the front axle,suspension,and steering all out the way. Should have the rear axle out tonight. I have a set of '77 front/rear axles from a F150. Plann to cut the rockers out in place of some slides. Got hydro boost to install...maybe hydro assist steering too.Caddy rear disc.

Will post pics later tonight.

Few questions : Dont like the radius arm bushings @ the frame(no flex) what does everone else run? I'm thing of going back to the stock rubber ones...now I have the polys. I have the longer radius arms from Bronco Bod(all for fun offroad-older version).

will the stock drag link/tie rod from the f150 work or will I have to do something else?? What about the track bar also? Thanks guys,Chuck
,,,,on the radius arm poly bushings,, they are installed incorrectly almost 100% of the time resulting in their undeserved poor reputation..... they are probably installed to stock rubber bushings specs ie. 80 to 120ft. lbs ,,,, the poly being so much more dense than the rubber only require a preload of 25 to 30 ft.lbs on the bushing to prevent the walking motion of the front end with excellent unrestrained pivoting ,,, the rubber bushings always make the front end walk even with the high stock preload & don't last anywhere close to the poly bushings ...provided the poly's are correctly installed

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
,,,,on the radius arm poly bushings,, they are installed incorrectly almost 100% of the time resulting in their undeserved poor reputation..... they are probably installed to stock rubber bushings specs ie. 80 to 120ft. lbs ,,,, the poly being so much more dense than the rubber only require a preload of 25 to 30 ft.lbs on the bushing to prevent the walking motion of the front end with excellent unrestrained pivoting ,,, the rubber bushings always make the front end walk even with the high stock preload & don't last anywhere close to the poly bushings ...provided the poly's are correctly installed
I see your point, however...I cant say I ever checked for that-I just ran the nut down 'til I could install a cotter pin. I really dont think they were all that tight.I'll keep that in mind all the same next time-Thanks,Chuck

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
went out tonight for some more fun;D ...it's always better when ya open a bunch a cans of worms:cool:
4x4_pics_962.jpg

4x4_pics_963.jpg

4x4_pics_964.jpg

will try to get the driver side tomorrow. Making room for the 2x4 square tubing.Chuck

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking good Chuck. I may be coming to Charleston is a few weekends and will come by to check it out. It won't be long until my 60's are ready to go under my project.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
very cool...always welcome Robert! I have alot work ahead of me still.Chuck

ncsubronc

yo chuck, interested in selling your old front discs? i know you want some more funds for the full width build! ;D

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
yo chuck, interested in selling your old front discs? i know you want some more funds for the full width build! ;D
I have a chebby conversion on my old D44. I could reuse it, but I would have to use the knuckles too. I think I will just use the ford disc set up. Make me a good offer on the everything on the old D44 knuckles(ie. backing plates,new calipers,hoses,spindles,bearings,hub/rotor)...I will have to buy all new calipers,pads,hub/rotors,etc.Later,Chuck

thanks for looking out;D

ncsubronc

man, you know i'm just tryin to help a brother out! ;D

i'll be down in charleston in July for a few days of vacation so that'd be a perfect opportunity for me to pick 'em up.

i'll give you a PM later, and we can talk $$$ gotta get back to work and off the message boards for now!:eek:

jeremy

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
got to do some more work on the rocker...check it out:smokin:
4x4_pics_967.jpg

4x4_pics_968.jpg

If it looks alittle short...the fenders are getting cut out larger.