• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'66 U13 - Just painted and need help on what to do next?

JMC

Just got my U13 back from paint this week, and would love any thoughts or observations from you guys...this is my first Bronco project and I've really depended on this forum a TON for figuring out what the heck I was doing. Thank you guys so much. I've been working on it for close to a year, but there's still plenty of fun left to be had. I think I'll hang onto it for a while, enjoy it, and maybe try to sell it in a little while. No idea how to price it....thoughts?

There's a few obvious things that need attention....wiper replaced (broken during paint), cleaning up some paint overspray, small oil pan leak, steering column was painted wrong, tailgate latch was painted, replace and extend the exhaust pipe to the correct location, and I'd really like to rewire it too.....mostly for appearance reasons (everything works fine). I know the carb is wrong but I might leave that for the next caretaker to handle:) I do have the original oil bath air cleaner. I think the paint job is a really solid one...original color and 2 stage done by a professional, but I do wish they'd been a little more cautious with some of the things they sprayed that shouldn't have been. Live and learn:)

I have the seats on hand, ready to go back in...recovered front buckets and a decent-condition rear bench. Need to add some seatbelts of course and a spare tire carrier (going to do inside the tailgate unless anyone has a better plan). I DO have the side view mirror, all original....just haven't reinstalled it after the paint.

What else should I do to to tighten this project up? Or I'd love any info about things that you see that are wrong/not original/etc that I can set right.

thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_6751.jpg
    IMG_6751.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_6783.jpg
    IMG_6783.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_6781.jpg
    IMG_6781.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6791.jpg
    IMG_6791.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_6790.jpg
    IMG_6790.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6789.jpg
    IMG_6789.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6767.jpg
    IMG_6767.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_6765.jpg
    IMG_6765.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6773.jpg
    IMG_6773.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_6780.jpg
    IMG_6780.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6778.jpg
    IMG_6778.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6777.jpg
    IMG_6777.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
J

JMC

Couple more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6774.jpg
    IMG_6774.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6775.jpg
    IMG_6775.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6787.jpg
    IMG_6787.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6776.jpg
    IMG_6776.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6770.jpg
    IMG_6770.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6771.jpg
    IMG_6771.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6791.jpg
    IMG_6791.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 74

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Don't think that the wiper motor cover was original on that year and looks like a J shifter on the t-cast?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

71Broncitis

Is that color matched bedliner on the inside?

Looks like there's no seam sealer on the floor.

Of course, the electric wipers motors and their cover are not correct for 66, and the engine compartment should be body color.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JMC

Yes, it's a color matched Rhino type liner on the entire floor and yeah unfortunately they went up the sides too. I didn't want liner at all, but they insisted several times that it was the right thing to do. We finally compromised and I agreed to have the liner just up to where the cargo area stopped. But this is what they did instead. Wasn't super happy about that, mostly because we talked about it at least 3 times.

Yes it's a J knob on the floor shifter. And I'd love to hear that the wiper cover doesn't belong because it's pretty ugly and I'd love to ditch it. :)

OP
OP
J

JMC

Bumpers, alternator, tailgate are all wrong.

I struggled to find the square edged front bumper, but no luck so I went with the only one available for purchase (for the front). The back one is crusty for sure and needs to be replaced....

Thanks for the heads up on the tailgate and alternator! I hadn't noticed those. Will do a little research and see what I can find.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Wiper cover is wrong too. You should have two individual vacuum wiper motors.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Ditch the cover it don't belong.
Also your ignition switch bezal Don't look original.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Ditch the cover it don't belong.
Also your ignition switch bezal Don't look original.

It's definitely a replacement, good eye! :) I have no idea when that was done but I'll add that to my list, thanks!

rmk57

Not sure if correct or not but my 66 has a different horn. Mine has a ring and also has "Product of Ford Motor Company" on the button.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Also you fresh air vent on passengers side should not have been painted. The dr. Side should be all metal and have a large rubber boot.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Also you fresh air vent on passengers side should not have been painted. The dr. Side should be all metal and have a large rubber boot.

Yes, that's another one they went off plan on. I'm trying not to be to mad about some of the mispainted things, because honestly with so much left to replace still, some of it will end up being correct later. All the same, it was frustrating to see so many things we talked about still end up painted wrong.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Not sure if correct or not but my 66 has a different horn. Mine has a ring and also has "Product of Ford Motor Company" on the button.

I think you're right! I've always suspected something was off about the horn and maybe even the entire steering wheel....

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Looking at that drag link/pitman arm picture? I believ '66 n '67 had an odd looking drag link. Yours Might be wrong. Maybe 66 expert will look n see.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Looking at that drag link/pitman arm picture? I believ '66 n '67 had an odd looking drag link. Yours Might be wrong. Maybe 66 expert will look n see.

Yeah not a 66, they're long and cylindrical and have a grease zirk on the bottom.

OP
OP
J

JMC

ok cool thanks...is that a pretty common switch, no big deal? I'm not shooting for anything close to all original. I'm guessing there would be no huge benefit to changing it back, if it works? Or is that one of those things that would hurt the chance of finding a buying when I try to sell it?

thanks!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
ok cool thanks...is that a pretty common switch, no big deal? I'm not shooting for anything close to all original. I'm guessing there would be no huge benefit to changing it back, if it works? Or is that one of those things that would hurt the chance of finding a buying when I try to sell it?

thanks!

Only if buyer was a picky purest type.