• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 link, ORI's, narrowed D60w/only 2.5" lift, 5"+WB stretch, 2" floor lower, P/S....,

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'll try posting those 2 vid's again.

Anybody have a clue why the vid's show on my phone on this post but not on my desktop? Is it doing this for anybody else?

Attachments

• 20240419_153424.mp4
    6.6 MB
  • 20240421_173312.mp4
    11.4 MB
Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Vids work fine on my phone, didn’t check the computer, I’m lazy today😂

Ok there’s your lane changer…. 😳

That truck comes with a 3” ID receiver. It has 2 holes, a 3/4, the spec for the weight on a 3” tube, behind that should be a 5/8” for 2-1/2” and 2” draw bars. I think you are missing the 3 to 2-1/2 reducer. Or the 2-1/2 to 2 reducer.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Need This

And either drill it out to 3/4 or see if you can reach the 5/8 hole.

I had to go through this bit of learning curve with my last F350. Who’d ever thought we’d get a tag trailer rating of 21,000# with 2100# tongue weight rating without a pintle 😵‍💫😳

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah, he's got a reducer in their but nothing is matched per se. 3" OD sq tube some weird wall thickness and then a chunk of something to "make it smaller" so a 2" stinger fits but as you can see the quality for fit & finish is "not there"!

He just text me and is coming to pick up the truck to fix about a dozen things on it that should have never been done to it, much less leave his shop.

I guess those of us that can fab & do it right, do truly have a gift.

I should have shopped around more for a shop but I was a "bit" distracted here with a much more important thing going on. So my fault but dang- I'm embarrassed to show how they spliced the 3' extra bed onto the stock chassis. Worried it might not hold up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
... and off it goes!

I've got insurance. lol

Attachments

• 20240505_143603.jpg
    20240505_143603.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Back to Term X problems... :)

Symptoms-

Heat- Uneven primary tube temps with AFR. I don't expect them to be real close (every primary tube will be different because of radius's, etc, etc) but for a baseline I pulled the clip on one injector and it read 190F for a cyl that doesn't have fuel.

I know you can't use the infared gun as a primary tuning tool but it came in handy when my static timing was at "15btdc" but was really at 25btdc. My primary tube temps were high and for the first time ever with this cooling setup at idle, coolant temp reached 209F ( I know- no worry right). But this was very abnormal so, I check primary tubes and they were high.

Higher then than now with correct static timing at 15deg.

At idle-
High primary tube header temps... like 3 of them are 680-700deg F.
# 1 cylinder however is appr 230 deg (also at idle)

This with the Term X wide band at app 14:1 and my other wide band on the other bank reading appr 13.8:1 then my question is: how can I be running that lean to cause that much heat? I had heat issues before (mentioned at top of this post) but it was from 25deg BTDC prior to setting the timing like I mentioned above and I took care of that on the ECU.

Back to #1 being so cold. So after swapping plugs to eliminate spark issues and checking the TERM X to make sure it is sending a signal to the #1 injector to open/close to help determine if fuel is getting to the in the cylinder, I had to determine if it was a bad Seimens Deka injector so I swapped the injector with the one "next door".

Symptoms stayed the same so I can eliminate spark AND the injector.

SO I bumped the rpm up to 1100 or more and the temp on that same #1 cyl immediately reads 600deg.

Wondering a little how a 300 rpm bump can make that much difference? Like there's a fuel flow issue at idle and yet slightly above it's fixed??

That's as far as I am with about a dozen tunes. Took a while to get a few things figured out but I was/am/will be concerned about cylinder temps.

Any ideas on the one cylinder being so much cooler? If it was air flow pulsations from the high duration cam affecting the intake plenum then you'd think it would be the same on #5 cyl since it's intake port is shaped the same, same length runner etc as #1. Maybe the pulsations from the intake or exh valve in #2 cyl affecting the air or fuel flow at idle only and isn't affected with the higher air flow at 1100 rpm and up?

No idea, just guessing.

I am going to look up my cyl temperatures last summer on the Moates when they were so hot and then what they cooled to with the correct tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Tim- you need to read this carefully... I just saw this looking for some info tonight and we've been talking about this for years now... quit building and drive more!! :)

"

rocknhorse76

Contributor

Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻

JoinedJun 7, 2014Messages362Loc.Central WA
Got 3 hrs today! Yay!

Shift lever geometry skills test. lol

I moved the output cable of my Winters about 4" towards the DS and it created so much trouble trying to route it away from the dbl carden joint, angle coming under the t-case was pretty much un-workable w/o some long extension of a skid plate to help protect the cable that was looping from above.

Time to mock it up since more stroker parts come tomorrow
Brian, at some point you need to just leave shit alone and just drive the damn thing! (Says the guy who is almost as bad as you when it comes to not leaving shit alone and just driving the damn thing!)

1976 Explorer, 408W EFI (A9P/EDIS), 4R70W/Blackbox Titan/NP205, D60/14B, 5.13, ARB’s, 14”x2.0 Radflo c/o’s in front/ WH leafs with Bilstein 5165’s out back (for now), 37x13.50R17 Yokohama XMT’s on 17x9.5 Raceline Monster beadlocks
Haha Haha Reply
  • Haha
Reactions:You "

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
SO I bumped the rpm up to 1100 or more and the temp on that same #1 cyl immediately reads 600deg.

Wondering a little how a 300 rpm bump can make that much difference? Like there's a fuel flow issue at idle and yet slightly above it's fixed??
Increase RPMs raises oil pressure? bad lifter? oil flow issue? valve not opening?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Increase RPMs raises oil pressure? bad lifter? oil flow issue? valve not opening?
All good thoughts & ideas. Oil pressure fine, lifters aren't making noise, valve not opening?? Might pull the cover and see but it's letting in plenty of air at 1100 rpm.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
So I went thru last June/July/August posts to check what the "high temps" my primary tubes had last year and here's the quote:
"
I am getting impatient... waiting for the tuner to read my data logs and send a new tune.

So I could rule out an intake leak I shot some ether along the intake ports. No change. Then I

started it back up. 3 min MAX and both sides were well over 630deg F and I went back to the PS header and it was 760deg F. I didn't even check the other 2 tubes on the PS and ran around and shut it down.

AFR was btw 14.3 and 15 at idle."

Almost the same numbers I had last year with all the fresh parts in my new engine. After a couple months and 25 new tunes from Willie it had much lower temps.

So here's a post from Sept '23 about primary tube header temps:

" ... Otherwise it runs good.

Primary header tube temps have dropped 175-200deg, yeah really!! :0 "

Last edited:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I *just* today had a conversation with a gearhead EE at work who told me that the Deka's have been surpassed by a Bosch Motorsports injector due to what sounded like this exact sort of thing. He used words that I don't remember, but the jist that I got of it is the the Bosch injector are stable over a much wider range than the Dekas - particularly in the very low duty cycle region. He told me that he'd send me the Bosch p/n, but as of EoD he hadn't gotten to it. Hopefully tomorrow.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
My tuner sent me tunes to try this am. When I get home in 3 hrs I'll run them both.
He is going to add/subtract fuel for that injector to see what happens & what direction to go.

I need temps closer to what I was running (500deg) last winter/fall before this goes on the road OR a dyno. :0

frdboy

Contributor
What's your timing at idle? late/retarded timing will have higher exhaust temps.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
15 degrees at idle.

I had 25deg till Sunday as I was one reluctor tooth different than Holley usually has people set it up at but changed it back to 15deg at idle.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
You will set your base timing with the Terminator X locked out. After you unlock it the X will vary the idle timing greatly all the time. You should be able to watch actual timing on the hand held controller.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks!

At this point in time, I'm spending every moment working on other things on the Bronco while the tuner guy is trying to figure out what I believe is excessively high cylinder temps in numbers 2, 3 and 7 and then this #1 cylinder that this morning after 10 min of idling is running 190-230.

He is dialing the tune in more each day.

There must be something about this engine combination that makes it hard for Tuners to tune!

They all (3 different ones now) say they will have it in 3 or 4 tunes. It typically takes eighteen to twenty five different tunes with me sending over fifty data logs to them.

I am hoping that we get this fairly soon and I never have to touch it again, ever! :)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
"Plug & Play" .... not!!! Holy Cow what a fiasco

Frustrating day (should say week) for sure for getting ANYthing checked off my list! This was my day today.

So today if you are still following along, it was 6 hrs of high tech frustration at it's best...

Running but still hot on the primary tubes (like 700deg hot today) on 3 different cyl and cold as ice on #1 when idling only, 160-190deg F.

Got a couple new tunes this am and loaded them up at 10:15, let the Bronco warm up and by 10:30 I datalogged.

Got a reply by 11:30 saying did I load those tunes from this am because the logs I sent were from the day before.

Reloaded same tunes again and by 12:30 got a reply that the tunes he sent me aren't the ones I got from him this am that I'm datalogging.

WTH I asked? So another 30 min plus and he sent me the tunes from this am thinking that the "#" sign he accidently put in the file name might have corrupted the file???

I loaded them up and datalogged.

Hour later tuner says the ECU is not running those two files. Tells me to delete ALL files I have on my laptop and handheld and try loading them again. This time making sure it's the same two tunes but doesn't have the "#" in the file name. (example: #2 tune for 5-7-2024 )

Tried them and when loading to the TermX ECU it shows "error". Again, wth??

Another 30 min: Tuner sends me a video showing step by step on how to upload. Doing it mostly right but still an error file on his new tunes he sent 3X today.

Tuner says to delete all files again and delete SD card and reload all software and files onto the SD card again.

Directions aren't clear so I fight it for 30 min and call a neighbor buddy. He spends 20 min and figures it out (he works on computer all day from home)

Load it all up and into the handheld

Load one tune at a time into the ECU, run the Bronco and it's so lean that it's popping out the exhaust and running at times at 17:1 afr. Didn't run it long.

Guess THAT TUNE ain't the right one. :) This guy is good but trying to figure out why that one cylinder isn't generating any heat unless it's over 1200 rpm is hard when it has spark, has fuel and has air... so he's trying lean tune on that cylinder and other things.

I got two lines drawn on my sheetmetal for my cowl access panel covers. Should take 30 minutes total to measure and bend them up for a prototype but life and corrupt SD cards kinda sucked the day away.

Kinda been like this for over a week... can't get it close to being dialed in.

ANYBODY get anything accomplished today??? Hope so! :)

Last edited: