• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No Such Thing As A Dumb Question

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just realized, I don’t think I’ve ever actually read the manual on how to separate those connectors.
Maybe there is an actual officially recommended procedure.
Maybe there’s even one of those “special tools“ that the manufacturers always list in the beginning of the sections.😁

BlueSierra

I have a feeling his is body lifted and since the floor is further away from the pivot it travels further and has broken off the top piece of the stock floor cover.

Yes this sounds right. I found the replacement part but says it’s not suitable for lifted vehicles so I assumed it was to do with angles etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just realized, I don’t think I’ve ever actually read the manual on how to separate those connectors.
Maybe there is an actual officially recommended procedure.
Maybe there’s even one of those “special tools“ that the manufacturers always list in the beginning of the sections.😁
Good idea, I’ll dig out the manual after work. 🤞 it’s more detailed than the “pull apart” embossed on the the connector.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Yes this sounds right. I found the replacement part but says it’s not suitable for lifted vehicles so I assumed it was to do with angles etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can buy fabric or leather boots on Amazon with a round hole. They hold up better than the plastic ones that come with the Hurst shifters.

Attachments

• IMG_20240108_162646_287.jpg
    IMG_20240108_162646_287.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 17

joshua

Contributor
About to por15 this baby. But torn if I should paint these mating surfaces? And to head this off at the pass, not where the bearing sits. Just the surface that mates to the backing plate. Reason I ask is I know it has a gasket that goes there.

All though I believe it’s more to keep dirt out than to actually hold g lube in.

Lmk Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4614.jpeg
    IMG_4614.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4615.jpeg
    IMG_4615.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4616.jpeg
    IMG_4616.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 19

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not having used POR – 15 myself, I’m not an expert. But from what I’ve seen, I would not use the stuff on either of those gasket surfaces. It’s just too thick for my tastes.
For rust resistance just a thin layer of regular paint would be my choice.
Others may have more informed opinions though. So let’s see what multiple replies result in.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Any paint you put on a gasket surface will need cleaned off to promote sealing. Clean and bare on those surfaces. The gasket or gasket maker will keep it protected.

joshua

Contributor
Any paint you put on a gasket surface will need cleaned off to promote sealing. Clean and bare on those surfaces. The gasket or gasket maker will keep it protected.
That’s what I kinda thought. I’ll just trace around the components, and tape off accordingly. I figured it probably shouldn’t be painted. But idk that’s why I asked.

Thanks!